• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

northumberland raptors (1 Viewer)

salty

geordie birder
despite the bad forecast, myself Rayl and Brianfm set off on a raptor hunt across popular parts of northumberlnd today.

not expecting too much, with rain expected throughout the day, we set off towards simonside to see what species we could pick out.

true to good form, when we were all in the car, the heavens opened, not good. we carried on regardless in the pouring rain, untill a break in the clouds some 10 miles or so from out first destination, meant we could finally see some birds.

the lay-by was a good stop, not only to stretch our legs and grab a bite to eat, i also noticed my brand new 4X4 was hissing like a snake! - yep, a nail in the tyre, i couldnt believe it!!!

so after a sandwich and tyre change, we carried on towards simonside, taking the main route that leads you to the summit, with cracking views, the sun was now shining high in the sky - our luck was changing for the better.

parking up near a dead sheep (no, it wasnt a raptor kill!), we set up our scopes and began scanning everything, moorland, treetops, farmland etc.

first raptor was a sparrowhawk, chasing a woodpidgeon, then eventually getting mobbed by the same bird it was trying to kill, it had outsmarted the hawk, and quickly turned the table, chasing the hawk to the safety of a nearby tree!

next up, 3 buzzards, but they were way into the distance, too far to watch propaly. another sparrowhawk was on the hunt again too, this time in the field behind us, it must of sensed the rain however, as it went to cover just as a huge burst of rain began to fall.

with the weather not getting any better, it was time to move on, earlier than expected. we decided to head for the brighter sky, kielder forest area, to try and continue as best we could.

a nearby peregrine sight failed to produce anything better than a hunting kestrel.

once in kielder, we stopped to scan the treetops, this was done frequently after every downpoor, as we were getting more and more birds braving the weather to feed - including raptors.

at one spot, we had a hunting kestrel, followed above by 3 buzzards, then another kestrel. fantastic, the raptors were not going to be put off by the showers, and we were not going to leave aslong as there were still willing to fly/feed whatever!

moving on we were getting more and more buzzards, not best sightings, some often very far/high in the sky, only watchable by scope. we also had a pair of wild goat in kielder, the first time i have seen these shaggy looking beasts!

with more rain falling, we continued further afield, untill we found another break in the clouds, close to the borders this time, a very good raptor viewpoint, one that has gave me some impresive birds this year.

we decided this would be our spot untill last light, with a good hour to kill we set our scopes up once more.

first off, more kestrels, loads more infact, there was a family of at least 3 birds. the adult, we presume, was busy hunting while the youngsters dive bombed and chased each other across the moors, very entertaining to watch.

more and more buzzards were coming out too, with some good mid air scraps, wing tipping and talon showing going on, this was good action.

the buzzards were having a good time defending themselves from the local crows too, one buzzard even got chase into some nearby trees, giving us time to get a few snap shots of it, although still quite a way off to get high quality images.

some behaviour i witnessed, from the 2 juvenile kestrels this time, was when a fox was busy making it's way across the heather, when the 2 young guns, suddenly began dive bombing it!!! - crazy, but exellent to watch.

all in all a good day regardless, even though out raptors never went beyond 3 species, buzzard, kestrel and sparrowhawk, the numbers more than made up for it - a good 30+ raptors in all.

heres a few snaps, although im not sure they are good enough for the gallery, you can have a look at what i managed to take.

Attachments

• buzzard.jpg
    buzzard.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 159
  • kestrel.jpg
    kestrel.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 152
  • kestrel 2.jpg
    kestrel 2.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 158
  • wild goats in kielder.jpg
    wild goats in kielder.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 153
  • sunset over northumberland.jpg
    sunset over northumberland.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 125
Nice post Ritchie and another good day birding despite the 'light' showers.
First time I have seen the wild goats at Kielder as well.

I wondered how you guys were doing as the rain WAS a bit heavy!

I was working until 10am...it was dry when I went upstairs to do the banking at 9am but chucking it down the next time I looked out the window at 10!!! Driving down to Newcastle was rather hairy too with extremely poor visibility and LOTS of spray yet the town itself was dry & sunny and quite hot! Hopefully good news on the bins & scope front as we dropped them off at Camera Clinic and Neil bought me a new pair of spare bins.....so I won't be a grumpy psycho to live with for the next few weeks! LOL

I'm SERIOUSLY jealous of those goats!!! ;) Been wanting to see them for yonks...I will one day!

Gill

hope your optics are sorted soon Gill.

as for the goats, they were pretty scary looking!

they had evil eyes, and im sure they would of killed us if we had left the car, without a doubt!

Excellent descriptive piece on a satisfying days birding Salty, and to me what birding is all about; the experience, doesn't matter about lack of species seen. Buzzards have the same effect on me as the Kites do locally, I just can't stop watching till they disappear out of sight.

Mind, those goats look well evil! :flyaway:

john barclay said:
Salty,

Nice one...isn't it about time you got yerself to Eilat for a week or two? :cool:

John.

Or even Lithuania mate (inviting Jos to hijack another Salty thread?)

Ray

Last edited:
salty said:
....they had evil eyes, and im sure they would of killed us if we had left the car, without a doubt!

LOL So once my optics are fixed you'll see me walking through Amble with two Cheviot Goats at my heels....ready to kill those chavs! ;)

Gill

Those wild goats

Gill Osborne said:
LOL So once my optics are fixed you'll see me walking through Amble with two Cheviot Goats at my heels....ready to kill those chavs! ;)

Gill

Of course, Gill, you could always start up a business:

Kielder Gohair, spun by Gill's fair hand...........

First catch your goat!!

A very interesting report from you Richie, and lovely pics. :clap: :clap:

We went for a quick run to Druridge yesterday - had a picnic lunch by the Pool in the Country Park, where windsurfers and small dinghies were taking advantage of the light winds.
But there was very little of interest there or at the the WWL Hide, perhaps because the tide was out.
But we saw a flock of about 16 curlews just behind Low Hauxley - never seen these birds in a group before.
We did a quick trip to Amble, where we saw loads of cormorants and a few eider in the harbour.

Mind you, we really needn't go far - we have had a sparrowhawk in the garden three times this week, sitting on the fence, eyeing the bird table! He is beautiful, but I hope he doesn't catch our little birds, including 10 goldfinches with three or four babies, who haven't yet got their head colouring. They have been with us for over a year............. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited:
nice thread

hi salty,
i read ur threads often and allways find them anthralling.like you I am a raptor fanaticand i gleen a lot of info from ur threads. Long may you keep it up .
All the best
Barry. :brains:

rayl said:
Or even Lithuania mate (inviting Jos to hijack another Salty thread?)

Ray

I wouldn't dream of hijacking ANOTHER of his threads - he'll be bashing me, not the kites, if I do that :bounce:

Can see I'm going to have to be organising a Geordie day out at this rate!

Nice write up though Salty, wouldn't catch me up them moors of that dodgy weather though ...what with being a southern wimp and all :)

Tim Allwood said:
any Hunnies up there this year Salty?

Tim

not seen any myself Tim, hundreds of common and the odd rough legged at winter times, but i aint had the pleasure of seeing a honey on my stomping ground!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back