• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (6 Viewers)

Hi Paul,

The owls have been seen every day since we started the watchpoint and all being well that'll be the case when you visit. One of the estate team goes down to locate the owls each morning and lets reception know if they're showing. We open the watchpoint from 11-2 which will hopefully give you time to pop in on the way down south.

Cheers!
Thanks to all that have replied....Hoping for GND, maybe a grebe or two.A SEO hunting the dunes would be magical..but wishful thinking if in short supply this year! Chevington sounds like a plan..if can persuade the driver...and finish off with LEO?? Awesome..thanks to all that replied!. I studied medicine in...Newcastle..good to know the NE is still as friendly as ever..though didn't think that when playing rugby for medicals at places like Ashington/Blaydon/Wallsend and further south Seaham!!:-O

Any news on the Great Grey Shrike tht has been seen lately?

It was on the pager as no sight yesterday. However I saw it on Tuesday but after thr left turn I was told to walk about a mile up the track to a clearing and then look back on myself to view the tree tops. After walking at least a mile I was about to give up when my pal shouted there is a bird above you which was the shrike.
I put it on rare bird alert and told them it was about a mile after the left turn but they did not include that information.
Andy

It was on the pager as no sight yesterday. However I saw it on Tuesday but after thr left turn I was told to walk about a mile up the track to a clearing and then look back on myself to view the tree tops. After walking at least a mile I was about to give up when my pal shouted there is a bird above you which was the shrike.
I put it on rare bird alert and told them it was about a mile after the left turn but they did not include that information.
Andy

Was that the clearing at Lamb Crag in the middle of the wood Andy? We walked to there on Wednesday and came to the conclusion that we'd gone wrong and doubled back and went along the north edge of the plantation, which was where the arrow on Birdguides was pointing.

The description on Birdguides was a little puzzling. It said "Park at Framlington gate, walk 500m NW along track and turn left to view". Well after 500m there was a track off to the left, but it led into deep forest, with the only clearing being the one at Lamb Crag I mentioned above, in the centre of the forest after a mile.

The arrow on the Birdguides map pointed to somewhere else altogether, on the northern boundary of the forest, but that needed a left turn after a 900m walk up the track, not 500m.

Needless to say, I didn't see the bird.

Was that the clearing at Lamb Crag in the middle of the wood Andy? We walked to there on Wednesday and came to the conclusion that we'd gone wrong and doubled back and went along the north edge of the plantation, which was where the arrow on Birdguides was pointing.

]

Alan from the road where the sign post said "restricted bridleway Moor house"
we walked for about 300yards not 500 and there was a left turn with a sign post leading into the forest. That was the track I was told to walk about a mile up to a clearing to then look back across the tree tops. I never made it to the clearing as we were fortunate the bird appeared on top of a tree on the edge of the track, but I reckoned we had walked at least a mile into the forest.

]

Alan from the road where the sign post said "restricted bridleway Moor house"
we walked for about 300yards not 500 and there was a left turn with a sign post leading into the forest. That was the track I was told to walk about a mile up to a clearing to then look back across the tree tops. I never made it to the clearing as we were fortunate the bird appeared on top of a tree on the edge of the track, but I reckoned we had walked at least a mile into the forest.

Looks like we were in the right place first time. Strange place for a shrike.

Ah, well.

St Marys Island

Had a quick visit to St Marys in the wind this afternoon. First bird I saw from the hide/blind looking over the wetlands :-

IMG_9645.JPG IMG_9653.JPG IMG_9659.JPG

Got very excited for a minute but obviously its gotta be an escapee - can't see a Speckled Teal getting over here from South America (sadly). Don't know if anyone else has reported this already.

Not a lot else other than a male Peregrine flushing the waders and gulls along the coast. Also 6 Shags off the island itself.

Anyone been visiting Cresswell lately? One of my favourite places but with the poor weather of late i have not ventured here since October :eek!:

Couple of questions if you can help please - Is the pond still frozen, is the sand to RHS of hide exposed, is there much about??

Many thanks in advance....

Had a quick visit to St Marys in the wind this afternoon. First bird I saw from the hide/blind looking over the wetlands :-

View attachment 303530 View attachment 303531 View attachment 303532

Got very excited for a minute but obviously its gotta be an escapee - can't see a Speckled Teal getting over here from South America (sadly). Don't know if anyone else has reported this already.

Not a lot else other than a male Peregrine flushing the waders and gulls along the coast. Also 6 Shags off the island itself.
Well spotted :) The Chilean Teal was first seen a couple of weeks ago. I looked for it last week but without success.

Anyone been visiting Cresswell lately? One of my favourite places but with the poor weather of late i have not ventured here since October :eek!:

Couple of questions if you can help please - Is the pond still frozen, is the sand to RHS of hide exposed, is there much about??

Many thanks in advance....

Hi Derek

I was there on Wednesday and the pond was 3/4 ice free. There was a little bit of sand in front of the hide but most of the birds were at the North end of the pond. There was very good numbers of waterfowl, including five drake Mergansers and a drake Goosander. There was also a good selection of waders, but all North of the causeway.

Hi Derek

I was there on Wednesday and the pond was 3/4 ice free. There was a little bit of sand in front of the hide but most of the birds were at the North end of the pond. There was very good numbers of waterfowl, including five drake Mergansers and a drake Goosander. There was also a good selection of waders, but all North of the causeway.

Thanks Gary :t:

The way the weather has been today with strong westerlies / south westerlies i'm guessing most of the birds will be over on the LHS to shelter against the wind. I think the same is forecast for Sunday so might give it a miss, when they are all over on the westerly side its just a bit too far for pictures :-C:-C

Thanks again mate :t::t:

Had a quick trip to Newbiggin yesterday armed with a bag of bread.

Two Med Gulls and in the mad mele that ensued when I tossed some bread, I am sure I saw that one of the Meds had two rings; a metal one and a pale creamy yellowy one (colour blind, hence vague description).

Has anyone else spotted this and any ideas about origin? Presumably a foreign import, or has someone had some excitement in their cage trap?

Holy Island; spent the whole weekend there ,were enjoying so much didn't try anywhere else.Highlights peregrine causing havoc amongst the teal/redshank /lapwing on floods.A ringtail hen harrier on saturday was probably best bird...but some very approachable Barwits on the sunday on beach were delightful.Had a few kittiwakes moving but sea quiet, just a few eider offshore,no divers/grebes seen,which surprised me.So nothing rare...but a really nice selection of birds.Thanks to all who gave info earlier!

Hawfinch(es)

the hawfinchs at morpeth are beside the rugby club? or have i got my wires crossed?

Pass the RFC ground heading out of Morpeth, over the bridge (the quick left then right), and head towards Mitford. Take the first left up the hill towards Morpeth Common and on the right 50 yards up is a small car park with a path to Borough Woods sign-posted to the west. Walk 100 yards along and to your right are two huge beech hedges (made of up beech trees over 20 feet tall and about 100 yards long or more). Stand and face them and get ready for an ornithogasmic experience! :t:

Last edited:
"a path to Borough Woods sign-posted to the west. Walk 100 yards along "

eeek i went along there with my parents wheni was 12 or something, we got chased half way across a field by a bull......havent been back much since )

Here's a couple of poor record shots from yesterday afternoon.

Attachments

• Hawfinch poor RS Morpeth 1 BF.jpg
    Hawfinch poor RS Morpeth 1 BF.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 93
  • Hawfinch poor RS Morpeth 2 BF.jpg
    Hawfinch poor RS Morpeth 2 BF.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 141
Hawfinch

Showing well this morning. I will post a shot or two later that would make Vipers 'poor record shots' contenders for the Countryfile 2012 calendar!:-O

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back