• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (1 Viewer)

Anyone know if the shrike is still at West Hartford? Thought I might head out there on my bike at the weekend to see if I can get some photos.... and might as well get it on my 2015 list if it's around!

Anyone know if the shrike is still at West Hartford? Thought I might head out there on my bike at the weekend to see if I can get some photos.... and might as well get it on my 2015 list if it's around!

I will pop up and have a look early-ish tomorrow if not later today.

I didn't see it this morning, but not surprising in that wind.

Lazza - unless your surname is Wiggins or Merckx or you are suicidal, I guess your bike's still in the garage. The GGS was showing very well at 10:30am this morning in the bushes in the middle of the field due north of the larger flash at Wessie H.

Nice record on Birdguides from Prudhoe yesterday:

Rose-coloured Starling, Northumbs, Prudhoe
one near woods in Oakland Estate at c.NZ105627 late afternoon then flew to roost

Good chance it'll be utilising garden feeders nearby.

Mark

Easily confused, from my perspective, it would be good to know who saw what and when?

Yeah it did get my heart going for a second, but it was definitely a Common. Lets hope there is a Rough-legged as well.

I had one of the Stonechats yesterday just after you had left. It was on the fence straight ahead from the end of the road.

Last edited:
Lazza - unless your surname is Wiggins or Merckx or you are suicidal, I guess your bike's still in the garage. The GGS was showing very well at 10:30am this morning in the bushes in the middle of the field due north of the larger flash at Wessie H.

Haha! Well, I did give it a try on Saturday morning, and the wind was extremely helpful on the way there! But I didn't see the shrike, and, as the horizontal snow came in soon after I arrived, I didn't hang around long and only made it to the edge of the pool! And the wind was very unhelpful on the way home....

Spent 3 hours this morning watching Widdrington Moor Lake, probable Ring Tail Harrier, Merlin flew west to east, Peregrine, 4 Buzzards over the 3 hours, 2 Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Siskin heard not seen in pines at centre point of lake, Long Tailed Tits in Alders very mobile.

Moved on to West Hartford and connected with GG Shrike pretty much straight away - It was pretty mobile across the whole site making pictures very difficult.

Photo is a mega crop of an image with an effective field of view of 2700mm :-O

Attachments

• 2015-01-16-155277-DSC_9444-1.jpg
    2015-01-16-155277-DSC_9444-1.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 2015-01-17-155126-DSC_6347-1.jpg
    2015-01-17-155126-DSC_6347-1.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 68
Spent 3 hours this morning watching Widdrington Moor Lake, probable Ring Tail Harrier, Merlin flew west to east, Peregrine, 4 Buzzards over the 3 hours, 2 Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Siskin heard not seen in pines at centre point of lake, Long Tailed Tits in Alders very mobile.

Moved on to West Hartford and connected with GG Shrike pretty much straight away - It was pretty mobile across the whole site making pictures very difficult.

Photo is a mega crop of an image with an effective field of view of 2700mm :-O

Incredible sharpness and detail from that distance Derek cameras have come a long way in a very short time.
Michael_A
http://www.trampsandhawkers.co.uk/gallery/index.php

A visit to Bolam Lake on Saturday with the kids was unsuccessful in finding me my target, bramblings, which were ever-present there last January, but it was nice to see so many goldeneye - at least 7 males and 6 females, together with a stunning pair of goosander and a small group of teal, as well as the usual large numbers of mallards and mute swans. The swans included 4 ringed swans (red: JHV, PBD, KTH; green: NFF), the latter three of which we had seen the previous January (NFF, ringed in Edinburgh as a cygnet in August 2011; PBD ringed as a cygnet at Belsay Hall, July 2000; KTH ringed as a cygnet at Bolam Lake, July 2000), so have sent off an enquiry for JHV.

All the usual woodland birds were well represented, but there seemed a particularly large number of nuthatch, perhaps 15 seen or heard around the lake. with at least two pairs of treecreeper also putting in an appearance. It was also nice to see my first red squirrel of the year, in the woodland to the south of the lake.

Heard my first Blackbird singing this morning as I walked to work at the unearthly hour of 5.30am :t:

Ignoring all the Blizzard Armageddon that they say is going to hit us....Spring is on it's way ;) o:)

So, anyone else do the RSPB bird watch this weekend?

A pretty disappointing turn-out in our garden to be honest - just 12 species in the hour we watched on Sarurday morning. But we did have our first long-tailed tits of the year, passing through briefly. But if only it had been today, as we had all sorts this morning: a grey heron, 6 redwing, a sparrowhawk, 20 species in all!

Attachments

• ltt.jpg
    ltt.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 50
  • heron.jpg
    heron.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 44
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back