• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (2 Viewers)

Got to say, the first time I ever encountered a Lapland Bunting it was sitting in a bush with Reed Buntings after being flushed by a dog on The Leas at South Shields!

I don't know if anyone can help but I was in N/cle at the weekend and I'm fairly sure the raptor I saw in Jesmond Dene was a Harris hawk. I might be wrong , it was late afternoon , looking west(into the sun) but chestnut colour on upper wings , yellow legs and cere , distinct white rump ending in sharp black band on tail didn't look like a native .
Have you got escapees up there?

Dave

I don't know if anyone can help but I was in N/cle at the weekend and I'm fairly sure the raptor I saw in Jesmond Dene was a Harris hawk. I might be wrong , it was late afternoon , looking west(into the sun) but chestnut colour on upper wings , yellow legs and cere , distinct white rump ending in sharp black band on tail didn't look like a native .
Have you got escapees up there?

Dave
Yes; two, actually :t:

(one has bells on, the other doesn't)

PS Welcome to Birdforum!

Only three days till we fly. Thanks for all the tips, hope the feeders are full and the rain stays away. Will hope to post a report when I get a chance. Will keep, an eye on this page until Friday.

Only three days till we fly. Thanks for all the tips, hope the feeders are full and the rain stays away. Will hope to post a report when I get a chance. Will keep, an eye on this page until Friday.
Hi Derek - assume it was you i was talking to in the hide at Cresswell on Saturday morning (i had the Royal Navy hat on) - after you left i went to Druridge and managed to see another stoat in ermine - see attached...

Also revisited Cresswell in the early afternoon and watched from my car, a peregrine put everything up and singled out a lapwing - at one point it stooped to the RHS of the hide and must have only been 20 feet from RHS window - not sure the occupants even knew this was going on :-O

Hope you both have had a great trip and managed to connect with the woody and pinkies :t:

Attachments

• 2015-02-14-159468-DSC_8158-1.jpg
    2015-02-14-159468-DSC_8158-1.jpg
    399.6 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Also revisited Cresswell in the early afternoon and watched from my car, a peregrine put everything up and singled out a lapwing - at one point it stooped to the RHS of the hide and must have only been 20 feet from RHS window - not sure the occupants even knew this was going on :-O
/QUOTE]

We did and it was a great show|=)|. The Lapwing managed to dodge it but it was a close call.

I went for a walk this afternoon to see whether I could catch up with the two Waxwings that have been seen in the Stobhill/Coopies Lane area this week.

Imagine my surprise when I spotted them opposite the NCC Depot!! Not the usual Bob Biggs form...

They occasionally flew to a few berries alongside the Depot fence but mainly sat high in trees opposite.

/QUOTE]

We did and it was a great show|=)|. The Lapwing managed to dodge it but it was a close call.

Nice one Bob - did you see it out the RHS window, it must have only been 20 feet away? I looked through the bins but didn't see any faces peering out..
It had 3 goes at that lapwing - then bugged out, presume it was going to try for an easier target :-O

Nice one Bob - did you see it out the RHS window, it must have only been 20 feet away? I looked through the bins but didn't see any faces peering out..
It had 3 goes at that lapwing - then bugged out, presume it was going to try for an easier target :-O

Someone else had prime viewing at the right side but the battle also took place directly in front of us and, as you say, very close to the hide. Certainly, it was the highlight of the day.

Off topic, the 2 Waxwing are still at Coopies Lane this morning( 9 am). Same place.

Out on my bike again yesterday, huffing and puffing up Beacon Hill. But well worth the effort for my first Northumbrian Marsh Tit in a while, a decent flock of Redwing (50-60), and a flurry of Red-legged Partridge as I hurtled back down the hill towards Heighley Gate. And the first full-on bird-song of the year, with Chaffinch, Dunnock, Robin and Wren belting out their melodies from all along the route!

Two waxwings still at the entrance to the Council Vehicle Depot on Coopies Lane, Morpeth this lunch time. And a bonus of 5 bullfinch at the entrance to Stobhill Manor estate on the way back, too :)

Attachments

• waxwing1.jpg
    waxwing1.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 81
  • waxwing2.jpg
    waxwing2.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 53
http://bangorwestndcp.blogspot.co.uk

Nice to put a face to a name, thanks for putting us onto the water rail. We had a great time and clocked up 75 species - a new record for a days birding. Will put a full report on my blog when I get home. We got pinkies and GSW. Blog is above but will not be updated till next week.

If NZ 271982 reads this thanks as well. Tried to send a comment but it was blocked. Dipped on the little owl, and need to chat re Stobswood for next year. If you pm me here with an e mail I will be in touch.

Was at Thornleigh Wood today, not what it was in the past. Spent two and a quarter hours walking from the Red Kite Inn up, round, over the viaduct and back and not one red kite did I see!! Did get dipper and a pair of goosander plus all the usual stuff. The feeding station had nothing more exciting than a stock dove. . Should have stayed in Northumberland.

Finches were well and truly back (quite literally) in town this weekend: the small flock of 5 bullfinch put in another appearance, with 15-20 greenfinch suddenly arriving on our estate, while the goldfinch numbers also seem to have jumped in the last few days, from singles and pairs, to flocks of 10-12, with several singing male chaffinch heard in the trees and hedgerows around the area, and a nice flock of 40-50 linnet in the farmland across the road.

Hi Derek - assume it was you i was talking to in the hide at Cresswell on Saturday morning (i had the Royal Navy hat on) - after you left i went to Druridge and managed to see another stoat in ermine - see attached...

Hope you both have had a great trip and managed to connect with the woody and pinkies :t:

Excellent pic Degsy, never seen one in ermine.

Damian:)

Nice afternoon, met up with a good few friendly faces i haven't seen for a while in glorious Northumberland..

The highlights being 46 Whoopers, Merlin, Sanderling, Redshank, Kestrel, Barn Owl & M&F Stonechat..

Quite a crowd present for barnie, so my theory of positioning myself away from the masses worked pretty well i think, reckon i had the best seats in the house :t:

Attachments

• 2015-03-08-162310-DSC_3355-1.jpg
    2015-03-08-162310-DSC_3355-1.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 2015-03-08-161918-DSC_2963-1.jpg
    2015-03-08-161918-DSC_2963-1.jpg
    383 KB · Views: 54
  • 2015-03-08-161928-DSC_2973-1.jpg
    2015-03-08-161928-DSC_2973-1.jpg
    410.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 2015-03-08-161905-DSC_2950-1.jpg
    2015-03-08-161905-DSC_2950-1.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 2015-03-08-162302-DSC_3347-1.jpg
    2015-03-08-162302-DSC_3347-1.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back