• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (6 Viewers)

Stoaty made an appearance and i had a good few shots of the Whoopers passing overhead..

Attachments

• 2015-03-08-161789-DSC_2830-1.jpg
    2015-03-08-161789-DSC_2830-1.jpg
    475.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 2015-03-08-161713-DSC_2754-1.jpg
    2015-03-08-161713-DSC_2754-1.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 50
Nice afternoon, met up with a good few friendly faces i haven't seen for a while in glorious Northumberland..

The highlights being 46 Whoopers, Merlin, Sanderling, Redshank, Kestrel, Barn Owl & M&F Stonechat..

Quite a crowd present for barnie, so my theory of positioning myself away from the masses worked pretty well i think, reckon i had the best seats in the house :t:

Excellent pics Derek, hope you got my reply to your PM this morning, will be in touch mid-week pal.

Damian

It seems a little unfair to criticise Birdguides for not taking it upon themselves to put out news that people haven't actually reported to them regardless of whether they may or may not have been aware of it through other sources.

It seems a little unfair to criticise Birdguides for not taking it upon themselves to put out news that people haven't actually reported to them regardless of whether they may or may not have been aware of it through other sources.
But it had been reported to them, through twitter.

But it had been reported to them, through twitter.

As in someone sent a tweet direct to Birdguides for the purpose of reporting it to them? If so then fair point but I got the impression that Birdguides just happen to follow some people who tweeted about the sighting,If that's the case then I don't see why Birdguides should by obliged to report those sightings or be criticised for not doing so.

The original Bewick's tweets did not mention '@Birdguides'. As you say Adam, a little unfair to criticise. @Birdguides follows 3455 other Twitter users, and it is expecting them to monitor all tweets through the day and notice some local news of a county (not national) scarcity (not rarity). Someone may pick it up, but maybe just on a sweep of Twitter messages later in the evening. If it was considered that news needed to be officially broadcast immediately, there are other established routes.

Mark

The original Bewick's tweets did not mention '@Birdguides'. As you say Adam, a little unfair to criticise. @Birdguides follows 3455 other Twitter users, and it is expecting them to monitor all tweets through the day and notice some local news of a county (not national) scarcity (not rarity). Someone may pick it up, but maybe just on a sweep of Twitter messages later in the evening. If it was considered that news needed to be officially broadcast immediately, there are other established routes.

Mark

Exactly. Nutcracker knows the score and should stop moaning :t:

A good selection of ducks at Bothal Pond, in misty conditions this morning, included 7 shelduck, 5 goldeneye, 3 pochard, 80-or-so wigeon, handfuls of teal, mallard and tufted duck, plus a single gadwall. 13 mute swans feeding on the grassy field to the east of the pond split up as I arrived, 8 taking off and heading south, the other 5 heading out onto the water, while it was also good to see several little grebe

4 months to go....

Raptor points, kielder forest will be nice to see this time.

Boat trip to holy island

God, its getting me through the weeks just thinking about it!

Excellent views of a kingfisher on the Wansbeck in Morpeth this afternoon, on the stretch of river behind the new Morrisons up to the blue foot bridge, and also along the small burn that joins the Wansbeck at Tommy's fields allotments. Watched it fishing from tree branches for c15 minutes at 2pm today, and sitting on a rock at the river's edge eating a catch! A pair of goosander also fished downstream and several singing goldcrest could be heard along the path behind Morrisons. A grey wagtail was also still present on the gravel river's edge just upstream from the footbridge.

Heading home, I had my first chiffchaff of the year singing from trees in Allery Banks allotments.

All in all, a lovely, sunny Spring day out there!

Last edited:
Snow Goose in with skeen of pinkies, over Hauxley reserve, yesterday.
Barn Owl x 2 at Cresswell early yesterday morning in the heavy fog.

Attachments

• Mute Swan _X7A3377.JPG
    Mute Swan _X7A3377.JPG
    215.5 KB · Views: 98
  • Barn Owl _X7A3341.JPG
    Barn Owl _X7A3341.JPG
    231 KB · Views: 141
  • Pink Footed Goose _X7A3920.JPG
    Pink Footed Goose _X7A3920.JPG
    281.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Snow Goose _X7A3961.JPG
    Snow Goose _X7A3961.JPG
    308.3 KB · Views: 70
  • Snow Goose _X7A3974.JPG
    Snow Goose _X7A3974.JPG
    309.5 KB · Views: 91
Excellent views of a kingfisher on the Wansbeck in Morpeth this afternoon, on the stretch of river behind the new Morrisons up to the blue foot bridge, and also along the small burn that joins the Wansbeck at Tommy's fields allotments. Watched it fishing from tree branches for c15 minutes at 2pm today, and sitting on a rock at the river's edge eating a catch! A pair of goosander also fished downstream and several singing goldcrest could be heard along the path behind Morrisons. A grey wagtail was also still present on the gravel river's edge just upstream from the footbridge.

Heading home, I had my first chiffchaff of the year singing from trees in Allery Banks allotments.

All in all, a lovely, sunny Spring day out there!

Off the top of your head, where were the stiltie and the pratincoles last summer, was that cresswell lakes?

Cheers

Off the top of your head, where were the stiltie and the pratincoles last summer, was that cresswell lakes?

Cheers

Collared Pratincole was at Castle Island 280714, the Black-winged beauty was 23 days earlier at Hurworth Burn Reservoir, Durham and also Holywell Pond about the same time. Stilt Sand was Cresswell and Druridge Pools from 290714 for about a fortnight.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back