• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

(not so) Common Swifts (1 Viewer)

nothing to say except good luck and all power to you

my favourite 'British' bird

I've moved from a house with nesting Swifts to a house with nesting House Martins and much as I enjoy the presence of the Martins, I do miss being able to watch the Swifts tear round the backs of the houses on their circuits, screeching to each other

Squidge the increase is due to the arrival of non breeders. The may not be of breeding age but they need to find a nest site. This morning there was a screaming party of around 20 going around my house.

Partridge why don't you put up some swifts boxes? They are cheap to make. A triple chamber box will cost under £10 including budgie concaves from them to nest on

Attachments

• ms-swift-box.jpg
    ms-swift-box.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 80
Thats excellent Mark, Do you have any problems with the neighbours as regards noise or are they understanding and wildlife friendly. Might put up a couple of boxes at side of my house but not sure of the impact on neighbours. Thanks Ger.

nobody has ever commented about the lure playing or the screaming swifts. Many now ask how the birds are doing. One passes every night at 10 to see what's happening.

If you get boxes up now there is an excellent chance they will come for a look. Some may enter boxes. They will remember to come back next year and hopefully breed.

I always recommend two or three nest boxes because they will fight over a single box. Make them from at least 10mm exterior ply

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back