• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Novices walk on Hampstead Heath. (1 Viewer)

christine

Hi everyone,

went up to Hampstead Heath today armed with a small pair of binoculars and bird guide to see what i could discover.
Unfortunatley this is the first time ive ever done this so cant tell you anything amazing im afraid!
First thing that struck me was the sheer numbers of crows,they were everywhere,noisy too!
A pair seemed to be stalking some starlings,and by the time i had entered a wooded area it felt like they were stalking me too!
I walked through kenwood and was lucky enough to see a jay through the bushes,it took off pretty quickly though.
Lots of magpies blackbirds and one great tit.
Did see a bird hopping along the ground which very kindly stayed put for long enough for me to frantically thumb through my book, i think it was a mistle thrush,but being a complete novice i cant be 100%!
Really enjoyed my afternoon,but i think i'll do a bit more reading before i go next time,at least i'll have a better idea of what to look for and where!

Christine.;)

Christine

Thanks a lot for that. I would be very interested to hear how you get on next time. I'll wait for your report before venturing out myself! I would be keen to know which areas to look at first - it's such a massive place. And you never know, we might see Bill Oddie there one day!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back