• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oberwerk 8x32 SE (2 Viewers)

Regarding the conjecture about what else looked like the 8.5x42 Visionary V1 posted above, I think that was the design of both the Swift Audubon 820, as well as Eagle Optics sold a House brand porro in 8x and 10x thatr looked just like that.

Just had a check of one of my V-1 8x45 left in stock, after an inquiry. There is some pincushion distortion. Not what I would call FF, but similar to many brands the similar specs / price .

Regarding the conjecture about what else looked like the 8.5x42 Visionary V1 posted above, I think that was the design of both the Swift Audubon 820, as well as Eagle Optics sold a House brand porro in 8x and 10x thatr looked just like that.
Also the Vixen Foresta 8x42 porro was a dead ringer for the Swift Audubon 820.

There is definitely something special about them. I doubt I will ever sell mine.
I just gave my father's pair to my brother (dad now in care home with dementia). Bro isn't a birder and doesn't really appreciate just how good the SEs are but he is using them and enjoying them. It's good to know they are in use and giving pleasure.
Sorry to hear about your dad. My mom was in a nursing home with dementia for four years. My dad and I went to visit her every day. I'm glad you were able to pass your dad's pair on to your brother. Taken care of, the SE can be an heirloom.

Fiske, whose review was dismissed above (along with others who joined in the discussion on CN, which includes me), has multiple cancers and has bequeathed his optics to the Kansas City Astronomical Society. Fiske doesn't do obsessively precise tests like Edz (who measured edge sharpness in binoculars in arc seconds at various percentages from the center), but he was the first one to get an OB 8x32 SE in his hands, and we would not be having this discussion if he hadn't.

Brock

Sorry to hear about your dad. My mom was in a nursing home with dementia for four years. My dad and I went to visit her every day. I'm glad you were able to pass your dad's pair on to your brother. Taken care of, the SE can be an heirloom.

Fiske, whose review was dismissed above (along with others who joined in the discussion on CN, which includes me), has multiple cancers and has bequeathed his optics to the Kansas City Astronomical Society. Fiske doesn't do obsessively precise tests like Edz (who measured edge sharpness in binoculars in arc seconds at various percentages from the center), but he was the first one to get an OB 8x32 SE in his hands, and we would not be having this discussion if he hadn't.

Brock
Thanks Brock. Nice words. I hope my copy of the SE will become an heirloom too. But not until I'm 120 years old 😂

The Oberwerk 8x32 SE are now in stock at Oberwerk.com. I ordered a pair to try. I get them Saturday.

You mean these ?

Attachments

• 9232159D-5F26-42CD-A234-4B9F632EC25A.jpeg
    9232159D-5F26-42CD-A234-4B9F632EC25A.jpeg
    427.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 0C87624D-AB9C-487C-A8B4-0AF1CEF27CD7.jpeg
    0C87624D-AB9C-487C-A8B4-0AF1CEF27CD7.jpeg
    494.2 KB · Views: 42
  • AEA20530-DFD1-41BE-B78D-A4819F5672E3.jpeg
    AEA20530-DFD1-41BE-B78D-A4819F5672E3.jpeg
    327.1 KB · Views: 41
Did you know Oberwerk is also coming out with a 10x42 SE and a 12x50 SE version, just like the Nikon SE? These could be interesting.

Special Edition8×32 SEED (FK-61), WA, WP, padded case1008.2144 m6615.04.056-76351.75249.95
Special Edition10×42 SEED (FK-61), WA, WP, padded case1006.5114 m6513.54.256-76462.0279.95
Special Edition12×50 SEED (FK-61), WA, WP, padded case1005.088 m6012.04.1756-76672.25319.95

Last edited:
My Aunt Mary lived to be 102. By improving your epigenetics and with replacement parts, you might make it!
Well wadda you know, I've been doing just that for the last few months without even knowing it!
Not heard of epigenetics before but I have taken up gym four times a week and cutting out most of the added sugar in my food. I may make 120 yet (currently a mere 55).

Thank you Brock for the new word. It has sent me down a path of interesting Google research.

Hi Paul,

The focuser is probably one of its weaker attributes: it's not the best or the worst I've seen. Average I'd say. It rotates smoothly in both directions but can get a bit stiff when reversing the direction of turning at the end of its travel. Other than that it's fine.

Cheers,

Neil.

A reference to the amount of lash that might be on the oberwork 8x32 SE- I took the Nikon action extreme and counted the ribs on the focus drum and there were 23 ribs per 360 degree rotatation of the drum, so 15.6 degrees movement of the drum /rib. Took 2 ribs before the focus shaft starting moving after loading of the shaft when I then turned in the opposite direction= 31 degrees and change of lash/lag. Pat

Let's not forget the "SE" is what... a $250 binocular - and should really be compared with binoculars in the same price range, rather than models that might cost twice as much or more.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back