• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

October Moth (1 Viewer)

aeshna5

Given the overcast & mild night (15C) a rather meagre catch in an Ealing park this morning with 17 moths of 12 species. Highlights a Barred Sallow, Deep-brown Dart & Blair's Shoulder-not.

Most numerous with 3 a piece were Tachystola acroxantha & Lesser Yellow Underwing.

The weather yesterday evening was overcast and mild so I decided to run the trap in Southfields, SW18. When I left the trap was heaving with flying ants so I wasn't expecting a good catch. However, when I got to the trap this morning there was no sign of any ants and I recorded 83 specimens of 20 species, including several new site records (but hardly any micros: 16 Cydalima perspectalis, 10 Noctua pronuba, 8 Tachystola acroxantha, 7 Eppiphyas postvittana, 6 Noctua comes, 5 Aporophyla nigra, 5 Noctuaa janthe, 4 Omphaloscelis lunosa, 3 Autographa gamma, 3 Caradrina clavipalpis, 3 Polymixis flavicincta, 3 Chloroclysta truncata, 2 Peribatodes rhomboidaria and singletons of Pechipogo plumigeralis, Hypsopygia costalis, Mythimna l-album, Xestia xanthographa, Scopula imitaria, Lithophane leautieri and Eupithecia phoeniciata.

The weather yesterday evening was overcast and mild so I decided to run the trap in Southfields, SW18. When I left the trap was heaving with flying ants so I wasn't expecting a good catch. However, when I got to the trap this morning there was no sign of any ants and I recorded 83 specimens of 20 species, including several new site records (but hardly any micros: 16 Cydalima perspectalis, 10 Noctua pronuba, 8 Tachystola acroxantha, 7 Eppiphyas postvittana, 6 Noctua comes, 5 Aporophyla nigra, 5 Noctuaa janthe, 4 Omphaloscelis lunosa, 3 Autographa gamma, 3 Caradrina clavipalpis, 3 Polymixis flavicincta, 3 Chloroclysta truncata, 2 Peribatodes rhomboidaria and singletons of Pechipogo plumigeralis, Hypsopygia costalis, Mythimna l-album, Xestia xanthographa, Scopula imitaria, Lithophane leautieri and Eupithecia phoeniciata.
Nice, but unfortunately most of that means absolutely nothing to me (and I suspect most on here)?!?!

Re the above, here goes:

Box-Tree Moth, Large Yellow Underwing, tachystola acroxantha, Light-Brown Apple Moth, Lesser Yellow Underwing, Black Rustic, Lunar Underwing, Silver-Y, Pale Mottled Willow, Large Ranunculus, Common Marbled Carpet, Willow Beauty, Plumed Fan-Foot, Gold Triangle, L-Album Wainscot, Square-Spot Rustic, Small Blood-Vein, Blair's Shoulder Knot and Cypress Pug.

Hope that helps,

Dave W

Trap ran last night for probably the last time this year, though the weekend might be looking good if I wasn't at working.

Just a few shots from the 7/4 that bothered to turn up.

Attachments

• _MG_3922.jpg
    _MG_3922.jpg
    459.1 KB · Views: 10
  • _MG_3849.jpg
    _MG_3849.jpg
    502.5 KB · Views: 10
  • _MG_3931-2.jpg
    _MG_3931-2.jpg
    614.9 KB · Views: 10
Six last night to include a Geom.escape sp, a presumed TLB, Light Emerald, Twin-striped pug, BoxTree Moth and a Figure Eight.

Attachments

• IMG_8508.jpeg
    IMG_8508.jpeg
    281.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8509.jpeg
    IMG_8509.jpeg
    528.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8504.jpeg
    IMG_8504.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 7
Eleven of eight last night to include- Dark Chestnut, Satellite and Angle Shades.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_8556.jpeg
    IMG_8556.jpeg
    246 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8537.jpeg
    IMG_8537.jpeg
    352.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8549.jpeg
    IMG_8549.jpeg
    321.5 KB · Views: 9
After last week's low numbers I was surpised to find a very full trap this morning.

20 Box Tree
13 Clancy's Rustics
7 Lunar Underwings
2 Black Rustics
2 Turnip
2 Feathered Ranunculus
2 Large Yellow Underwing
1 Lesser Yellow Underwing
1 Garden Carpet
2 Marbled Carpet
1 Willow Beauty
1 Ruddy Streak
1 Ashy Button
1 Mallow
2 Beaded Chestnut
1 Barred Sallow
3 Deep Brown Dart
1 Square Spot Rustic
1 Merveille du Jour

Some nice moths on Saturday morning in the traps at my local nature reserve in Maple Cross . Dusky-lemon Sallow , Vestal and Pinion-streaked Snout all flew off before i could get a shot ,sadly . Managed to get ,Orange Sallow ,Beaded Chestnut ,Red-line Quaker ,Chestnut (nicely marked) and Pink-barred Sallow , plus loads of Caddisflies and a couple of Hornets.

Attachments

• 0Z2A7384.jpg
    0Z2A7384.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 0Z2A7052.jpg
    0Z2A7052.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 0Z2A6682.jpg
    0Z2A6682.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 0Z2A6238.jpg
    0Z2A6238.jpg