• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

October Moth (2 Viewers)

After a few days of constant heavy rain, I was finally able to get the moth trap out last night. It was quite warm, the low was 12C, and there was a total of 6 moths of 5 species which is quite good here for the time of year.

Streak = 2
All the rest were singles and all new for the year

Angle Shades
November Moth agg
Mottled Umber - only my 2nd ever in 17 years of trapping here!
Garden Rose Tortrix

Slim pickings over the last 3 nights, averaging 3 moths per session!
However, some not unattractive ones at that.
2 Green-brindled Crescents were the only occupants in my pot on one night + Brindled Green, Satellite and the inevitable BoxTree moth!

Attachments

• IMG_8593.jpeg
    IMG_8593.jpeg
    545.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8596.jpeg
    IMG_8596.jpeg
    976.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8589.jpeg
    IMG_8589.jpeg
    525.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8586.jpeg
    IMG_8586.jpeg
    549.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8569.jpeg
    IMG_8569.jpeg
    733.5 KB · Views: 7
With heavy rain Friday night I waited until Saturday night this week, but a strong chilly breeze and clear sky only gave me two moths: The Chestnut and Beaded Chestnut:

Attachments

• IMG_20231015_092413_MP.jpg
    IMG_20231015_092413_MP.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20231015_092048_MP.jpg
    IMG_20231015_092048_MP.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 3
I trapped last night as the forecast for the next few nights is pretty awful with yellow and amber warnings for wind and rain. It was quite warm, 8.5c was the lowest temperature, so 8 moths of 4 species. Juniper Carpet and Chestnut were new for the year and the others were a single Angle Shades and 5 Streaks.

Very mild last night before the rain arrived about midnight. 26 of 14 species, Acleris logiana was new for the garden, Dark Chestnut new for the year. Tachystola acroxantha (six) and November Moth agg. (four) made up the bulk.

Attachments

• Acleris logiana 191023 02.JPG
    Acleris logiana 191023 02.JPG
    853.3 KB · Views: 6
That's lovely. In terms of sharing your sightings on a public forum for others to read I guess it's up to you how you do so ... just seems to go against the grain of how most people go about it!

I have had the privilege of being in the field with experienced and prominent lepidopterists who use scientific names as a matter of course. I just feel grateful for the path that they have laid out for the rest of us and look them up!

If you have a book, you will find that it has all of those names in it. In contrast, I am often faced with vernacular names that are in none of my books.

So they could easily mean something to you.

Thank you Martin for sharing.

All the best

Paul

I have had the privilege of being in the field with experienced and prominent lepidopterists who use scientific names as a matter of course. I just feel grateful for the path that they have laid out for the rest of us and look them up!

If you have a book, you will find that it has all of those names in it. In contrast, I am often faced with vernacular names that are in none of my books.

So they could easily mean something to you.

Thank you Martin for sharing.

All the best

Paul
It's absolutely fine - Martin can do as he sees fit!

;-)

I don't wish to cause controversy - just saying that sometimes playing to the lowest common denominator makes sense. Can you name a single public social media platform or mainstream website which posts moth names (or bird names etc) in latin?

eg Dorset Moths

or

(I do have 'a book', but I'm sure myself (nor anyone else who doesn't have the time) will be taking the time to translate from the latin?, thanks for the suggestion anyway though ( ;-) )

BTW, I'm fully ok with posting micro moth names in the latin binomial on the whole, as that is the accepted format.

EDIT: Anyway, I hope no-one takes offence. My thinking was just that in terms of sharing knowledge etc it makes most sense. And indeed it is something to work towards to gain knowledge in terms of family and scientific names etc ...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back