• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

October Moths - 2021 (1 Viewer)

Three moths for me too!
On the wall under the security light- 2 Red-green Carpets and a Figure of Eight.

Last edited:
Three moths for me too!
On the wall under the security light- 2 Red-green Carpets and a Figure of Eight.
Red-line Quaker and Common Marble Carpet was my haul.

Probably going to keep going until we leave, especially during this mild spell, hoping my next tick is an Oleander Hawkmoth!

A couple of mild but damp nights brought a couple of NFY micros - Exapate congelatella and a latish Ypsolopha sequella. Otherwise several November Moth agg., a few Yellow-line Quakers, Tachystola acroxanthas and Light Brown Apple Moths and singles of Red-green Carpet, Garden Rose Tortrix and Dark Chestnut.

Five moths last night. Two Red-green Carpets, a Red-line Quaker, the autumn's first Satellite and the year's first Feathered Thorn.

Attachments

• IMG_20211019_202227.jpg
    IMG_20211019_202227.jpg
    521.9 KB · Views: 4
A Beaded Chestnut was only my second record, the species apparently has a Northerly bias in the County.

Attachments

• Beaded Chestnut.JPG
    Beaded Chestnut.JPG
    599.9 KB · Views: 6
All the M-d J's posted here so far are from coastal counties but there are a couple of records annually in Notts most years.

Here's my only D Swordgrass from Notts a few years ago, that is just about annual here.

Attachments

• Dark Sword-grass 2.jpg
    Dark Sword-grass 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
All the M-d J's posted here so far are from coastal counties but there are a couple of records annually in Notts most years.
I’ve had M-d-j’s “most” nights since the 8th peaking at 4 on the 8th, circa 50 miles West of “Soufend?”

Here's my only D Swordgrass from Notts a few years ago, that is just about annual here.
Hampshire may be coastal but Farnborough is definitely not!

John

15 moths of 6 species last night and all still on the wall as I “speak!” 10 Red-green Carpets, Barred Sallow, Box-tree Moth, pug sp, Red-line Quaker and November Moth.
An anomaly is beginning to emerge at this end, with my overnight efforts normally doubled or trebled by the competition earlier in the year are now comparing well!
Perhaps not using the trap (always prone to non forecast precipitation overnight) has made the difference? When you think that my CNP and the Oleander from the other night were both caught “outside” the trap by just using the actinic without the latter, might be worth a go?

Cheers

Last edited:
Come on Ken, show some respect for 'Soufend' - it's a city now.
“It used to be fun…dad and ‘ol mum paddling da’n Saufend….but now it’s not done never by far…..Paris is where we spend our outin’s”
Born within the sound of Bow Bells Steve…my local parlance.👍

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back