• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

October Moths 2022 (1 Viewer)

Quite cool last night, 5.4C was the low, so only 2 moths. However, one was a rather smart Red Sword-grass, the first in the garden since 2016, and the other was an Angle Shades. Aviemore, VC95.

Only ever having seen Hummingbird Hawkmoth on Red Valarian, it came as a shock surprise to find this in the garden yesterday on such a date and nectaring on Ivy blossom.😮

Attachments

• 3BFA1D8B-661C-4669-8682-E1B78D61A0A2.jpeg
    3BFA1D8B-661C-4669-8682-E1B78D61A0A2.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 5
  • 3BC830EF-FC86-425E-B4BF-65B824CF4EC9.jpeg
    3BC830EF-FC86-425E-B4BF-65B824CF4EC9.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Only ever having seen Hummingbird Hawkmoth on Red Valarian, it came as a shock surprise to find this in the garden yesterday on such a date and nectaring on Ivy blossom.😮
Had one in my garden 3 days ago just before dusk buzzing around some Buddleja flowers. Ivy is very popular with moths & lot of mothers go "dusking" around it with nets.

Had one in my garden 3 days ago just before dusk buzzing around some Buddleja flowers. Ivy is very popular with moths & lot of mothers go "dusking" around it with nets.
Couldn’t find any reference regarding HHM nectaring on Ivy Blossom A, hence the surprise.👍

Couldn’t find any reference regarding HHM nectaring on Ivy Blossom A, hence the surprise.👍
I've not seen one on it, but it does seem very popular with so many insects including moths that it doesn't seem too surprising. Nice treat for you.

An impromptu running of the halogen(security light) last night attracted Barred Sallow and Red-green carpet beneath it on the wall.
Thus I decided to run the UV over “the pot” which yielded nowt this am, save a lone Silver Y obligingly perched on the parasol above, a species I’ve not seen much of this year.

Attachments

• C8B18BEC-9C97-4E3F-BA92-84B92C559A4B.jpeg
    C8B18BEC-9C97-4E3F-BA92-84B92C559A4B.jpeg
    724 KB · Views: 5
  • 5926A424-43EB-4A93-BC0A-212CBC07FB9E.jpeg
    5926A424-43EB-4A93-BC0A-212CBC07FB9E.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 5
A modest 8 species from a west London woodland reserve last night with:

Copper Underwing agg
Chestnut 2
Satellite 4
Brick 2
Green Brindled Crescent 2 melanic
Large Yellow Underwing 2
Red-green Carpet
Lunar Underwing

Surprised and delighted to get a Hummingbird Hawk-moth in the garden yesterday, nectaring on Honeysuckle, only the 2nd one in the garden and a first for the year. Quite a mild night with a low of 7.8C so 4 moths of 4 species in the trap. Red-green Carpet and Streak were new for the year, the other 2 were Angle Shades and November Moth agg. Aviemore, VC95.

We have had some southern winds blowing for the last 4-5 days. It blew up this first iNat record of Melonworm Moth for Michigan, right into my yard.
small.jpg

Corn Earworm Moth is new for me also
small.jpg

As is this Hemina Pinion
small.jpg

Not a great deal turns up in my actinic trap in South Hampshire - until Tuesday night, that is. Had Pseudozarba bipartita, a first for Britain. I had no idea what it was but thank goodness for experts. An African moth, apparently. More about it on Twitter, I'm told.

Dave W

Not a great deal turns up in my actinic trap in South Hampshire - until Tuesday night, that is. Had Pseudozarba bipartita, a first for Britain. I had no idea what it was but thank goodness for experts. An African moth, apparently. More about it on Twitter, I'm told.

Dave W
Congrats-not many get a first for Britain. Saw the images of this in various places this morning- a very handsome noctuid for sure. You must be over the moon!

Thanks, Aeshna 5.

Yes, it was quite an experience. I've been trapping for some years now but was getting nowhere trying to identify it. We're lucky enough to have a macro and a micro expert locally in Fareham and the macro man knew what it was. It was in pristine condition and surprisingly small - about the size of Kent Black Arches.

Thanks for your interest

Dave

Congrats-not many get a first for Britain. Saw the images of this in various places this morning- a very handsome noctuid for sure. You must be over the moon!
It's a common species in the Mediterranean, etc. incl. the Balearic Islands, where I see it regularly. A great find.

Quite a few Crimson Speckled reports on the RBA pager today - and I bet a load of unreported ones - trap out tonight for certain!

Recent news, Green-brindled Crescent a full tick in the back garden trap, super looking moth!

John

Quite a few Crimson Speckled reports on the RBA pager today - and I bet a load of unreported ones - trap out tonight for certain!

Recent news, Green-brindled Crescent a full tick in the back garden trap, super looking moth!

John
Had one on Oct 6th 2011 (believe it was a 2nd for London), with the 1st being in Epping (just oop the road in the ‘60’s?) and I was running my MV 130W lamp at the time.
You can imagine my glee, when I first laid eyes on it….just a bit special.👍

Attachments

• 6AF45342-4A42-432B-B428-A825B2B14D88.jpeg
    6AF45342-4A42-432B-B428-A825B2B14D88.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 4
Had one on Oct 6th 2011 (believe it was a 2nd for London), with the 1st being in Epping (just oop the road in the ‘60’s?) and I was running my MV 130W lamp at the time.
You can imagine my glee, when I first laid eyes on it….just a bit special.👍

At least 15 London records pre-date your specimen (Plant 1993).

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back