• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Odd passerine from Priorat, Catalonia, Spain (1 Viewer)

BirdBoyBen

Young birder
Taken on a school trip. Might not be possible to ID due to picture quality, but any ideas appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0245.JPG
    IMG_0245.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 208
Superficially it looks most like a female Blackcap, but the colouration is 'off', the bill looks too short and stubby, the cheeks too white and the shape doesn't look at all right. Shape-wise it looks rather tit-like and I suppose it could be an aberrant Marsh Tit, but the pale wing bar and its general 'feel' suggests it might just be an extremely odd 'leucistic'(?) Great Tit

Struggling with the photo but the nearest thing I can guess is Marsh Tit although i think this would be at the southern limit of it's range. Just an idea.

I think that it is over exposed photo of a female blackcap, quite a common species in Catalunya. Priorat is too far south in Catalunya for marsh tits according to the atlases that I have.

BTW, Priorat is a novel place for a school trip!

Last edited:
I think that it is over exposed photo of a female blackcap, quite a common species in Catalunya. Priorat is too far south in Catalunya for marsh tits according to the atlases that I have.

BTW, Priorat is a novel place for a school trip!

Agree - with the ID anyway! Don't know anything about Priorat...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back