• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Off-camera Flash (1 Viewer)

spiderwood

Hi George,

Following on from your comments on the ball-heads and Wimberley etc...do you have any views or experience of using either the Kirk of Wimberley flash brackets? I've begun to get fed up of Red-eye/Steel eye on birds and mammal shots when using flash in low Winter light.

Any views would be appreciated

Thanks

Yes Nick I use flash quite a lot usually to add a catchlight or to lift the image on a dull day. I (almost) always use the flash off camera to avoid the red eye effect although when using long lenses and tele-flash you have to be very careful. If the problem of adding illustrative pics within the text of my replies is ever resolved I will show you how and when it can go wrong.

I use the Kirk flash bracket and find it fantastic although you have to be using a Kirk lens plate to attach it. What makes it so good is that you can vary the position of the flash to suit the occasion/lens and it remains in that position when changing from landscape to portrait mode.

I use two types of teleflash. The cheap and convenient Better Beamer and the original and more expensive Metz which I use with Metz 60CT4's.

Thanks for the question.

George

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back