• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Off to titchwell (1 Viewer)

AndrewA

Hi
I'm off to to RSPB Titchwell tomorrow for the day. My first visit. I have a book which sings the praises of Titchwell but would welcome any suggestions of the best parts of the reserve to visit.
Thanks
Andrew

Hi
I'm off to to RSPB Titchwell tomorrow for the day. My first visit. I have a book which sings the praises of Titchwell but would welcome any suggestions of the best parts of the reserve to visit.
Thanks
Andrew

You'll have plenty of time to see it all, there are only two trails, a straight one past the marshes to the beach, and the meadow trail through some scrub to the Fen Hide, overlooking a pool and the reedbed. I'd just recommend taking your time and letting the birds come to you. if you call into the visitors centre/shop when you get there there is a sightings log and staff to tell you whats been seen and where, plus see Paul Eele's posts on the Norfolk Birding thread for interesting birds seen recently.

Hi
Thanks
Andrew

Hi Andrew

The first thing is to agree with Ron, the wind was 'a bit nippy' today so you will need plenty of layers.
Start birding as soon as you get out of the car as the carpark can be good if it is sheltered. There was at least 3 bullfinches feeding in the overflow area this afternoon and a waxwing is not out of the question. The scrub around the Meadow Trail/Fen Trail area has still got at least 1 chiffchaff and there were brambling and redpolls around the feeders today.
The lagoons have got large numbers of teal and wigeon and there is a flock of twite feeding close to the main path on the brackish marsh. If you can brave the sea there have been a few scoter and grebes but I suspect it will be too cold and choppy.
The reedbed roost has had 2 ringtail hen and upto 13 marsh harriers in the last week and you may be lucky with bittern or barn owl.

If you have a look back through the Norfolk birding thread you will see my daily postings and you can pop into the centre and ask waht is about at the info desk.

Hope you enjoy your visit

Paul

Thanks guys for your replies. I spent a very enjoyable but freezing few hours there yesterday. The tide was out lots of waders but sooo cold.
Very helpful staff in the visitor centre and I got to see my first twaite- about 30 of them actually
Thanks again
Andrew

Well Andrew if you are from Oman you would notice the cold, especially as Titchwell catches the full Arctic blast from the north when it blows.

I'm doing Snettisham AND Titchwell on saturday. I've got my skiing saloppets and ski jacket ready and my daughter's xmas present from the other year, a Russian hat so look out for it folks :t:.

Remembering what it was like out on that coast this time last year I'll bet it's absolutely freezing now!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back