• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trip to Hortobagy (2 Viewers)

jforgham

Birding for fun
Hi, I am looking at planning a trip for a few days birding to Hungary, particularly the Hortobagy region. Just wondering if car rental will be the easiest form of transport and suggestions on good, reasonably priced accommodation. Flight into Budapest from Stansted seems my best option. Finally, any local guides? Thanks for any suggestions and other places to visit.

Hi Jono, some friends and I visited back in October 2022, it is a very easy trip to do independently, and you shouldn't require a guide. Check out ebird for recent reports, then have a look on airbnb for accommodation. The place we stayed at was pretty nice, affordable and comfortable for the four of us.

A copy of our trip report is here. If you want any more specific information not covered in the report, feel free to drop me a PM.

Hi Jono, some friends and I visited back in October 2022, it is a very easy trip to do independently, and you shouldn't require a guide. Check out ebird for recent reports, then have a look on airbnb for accommodation. The place we stayed at was pretty nice, affordable and comfortable for the four of us.

A copy of our trip report is here. If you want any more specific information not covered in the report, feel free to drop me a PM.
That's very helpful. Thank you.

I used to live near there. It's very easy to get about without a guide, though note that not all of the park is possible to visit as a tourist. No matter though, you'll be able to see basically everything that's possible there from the public areas. What time of year are you looking at visiting? A car is your best bet, although a lot of the best sites can be accessed by both bus and train. Bear in mind that some areas become almost impossible to access after heavy rainfall or in late autumn-early spring. I've never encountered such sticky mud before! There are loads of hostels in the area, so accommodation should not be a problem.

If you have any targets or if you need any tips, I'm happy to help!

I used to live near there. It's very easy to get about without a guide, though note that not all of the park is possible to visit as a tourist. No matter though, you'll be able to see basically everything that's possible there from the public areas. What time of year are you looking at visiting? A car is your best bet, although a lot of the best sites can be accessed by both bus and train. Bear in mind that some areas become almost impossible to access after heavy rainfall or in late autumn-early spring. I've never encountered such sticky mud before! There are loads of hostels in the area, so accommodation should not be a problem.

Will was really helpful for our trip, drop him a message! (Thanks again Will!)

Thank you. It looks like it now maybe autumn as several things have cropped up, so shall make notes from your reply. Many thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back