• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oh boy...my turn Coop's or Sharpie - California (1 Viewer)

Hockey.Lover

I have struggled with these for some time. I have studied this link offered up the last time I inquired about these guys.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw/AboutBirdsandFeeding/accipiterIDtable.htm

This first bird was taken in Santa Cruz back in December 2007. I have to make separate threads since I have too many photos.

At least I got the tails of all birds. :) I appreciate any help. :D

Gail

Attachments

• Hawk 2.jpg
    Hawk 2.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 97
  • Hawk 3.jpg
    Hawk 3.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 88
  • Hawk 1.jpg
    Hawk 1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 82
This is a toughy but great shots!

I would say it's likely a male Cooper's or a female Sharp-Shinned. I'm not an expert at separating these like those who will come after me but it looks somewhat small headed but not so small that I can rule out Sharpie.

However that spread tail looks pretty rounded and seems to fit Cooper's better. At this time of year in Calirfornia, especially where you are either species is possible.

I'll wait to be schooled on this just as you lol

Cooper's hawk for me, the proportions fit. The legs are thick with big mean claws, Finer streaking on breast, and as Gentoo says the tail is a better fit for Coopers.

Agreed on cooper's. Besides what is mentioned by Gentoo and logsaysned, I believe with the eye set closer to the front of the face is a trademark of the cooper's hawk rather than eyes set farther back as in shar-shinned (I may have that reversed though but I'm pretty sure)

I'm thinking Cooper's too even if he isn't wearing a name tag! :)

I find juveniles slightly easier because of the streaking....Cooper's has finer streaking. Also, I am not sure if this is conclusive, but Cooper's has a cross-like shape when flying because of the way its head projects beyond the wings, while a Sharp-shinned's wings are pushed forward at the wrists so that the small head barely extends past the wings. In your first photo I definitely see a cross-shape.

... Cooper's has a cross-like shape when flying because of the way its head projects beyond the wings, while a Sharp-shinned's wings are pushed forward at the wrists so that the small head barely extends past the wings. In your first photo I definitely see a cross-shape.

right

I would also call this Cooper´s. The pale tips to the tail is worn of, so can not be used as a probable identity feature. The fine streaks in the middle of the underparts - barred flanks allright for some Cooper´s, eye placed forward in the face. The straight leading edge of the wings in the image where it takes of is a good Cooper´s feature. Huge feet on this one not so bad for Copper´s either.

JanJ

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back