• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Old E. Leitz Wetzlar 8x60 Binoculars (1 Viewer)

LBPete

United States
Hi, I came across this forum looking for information on these binoculars. They have been in my family a very long time and recently surfaced in my brother's house. They appear to have an early serial number 161328. Any information would be helpful.

- Pete

Hi, I came across this forum looking for information on these binoculars. They have been in my family a very long time and recently surfaced in my brother's house. They appear to have an early serial number 161328. Any information would be helpful.

- Pete
Welcome! Any information might be helpful. However, to get the ball rolling let’s see your photograph.

Hi Pete,

As Bill indicates, some more information and pictures could be helpful.

However, see the details below for unit #565,239 that’s dated as being from the late 1950’s (click on the image):

The information is from Frank/ LPT (see post #8 below).

Leitz manufactured Porro prism binoculars like these until the early 1960’s.

John

Last edited:
Hi again Pete,

The 8x60 was introduced in 1932. See the attached listing by Peter Abrahams from the now defunct Europa site.

And also see the information from a 1936 Leitz catalogue.
The full catalogue can be found at: https://www.miniaturebinoculars.com/part1/Page2725.htm
(For it, along with numerous other catalogues, go to the bottom of the navigation panel).

Leitz 1936.jpg

As can be seen there were both individual focus (like yours) and centre focus versions.
And the CF option was also available in a light weight version.

John

Attachments

• leitzbin.pdf
    31.7 KB · Views: 7
Good information, thanks. I'd like to have them restored, any recommendations? Anyone have experience with Mountain Optics in Oceanside CA?

- Pete

They are the other optical company I saw on line. I was leaning towards Mountain Optical because they are close enough to drop off the binoculars so I wouldn't have to ship. That said there are a lot of people singing the benefits of Suddarth Optical. I'll give them a call.

- Pete

That's a really fascinating binocular from the point of view of historical interest - there can't be very many of those in the U.S., or anywhere for that matter. Looks like your guess with regard to its vintage was very accurate!

8x60 is a very large binocular more suited to use from a viewpoint or similar location than being lugged around in the field. Anti-reflection coatings, now commonplace in all optics, didn't get developed till WW2, and an uncoated binocular will look distinctly less bright and contrasty than a modern one. Mechanically it ought to be very fine, as Leitzes I've handled from the 1950s were - I've read comments saying that pre-war versions were better built yet.

I wonder if Suddarth or another technician could get the lenses and prisms coated - which would detract from its original status, but would significantly improve its viewing qualities (and you might be replacing the original leatherette covering anyway). In any case it'll be a most fascinating conversation piece, a real family relic, and when used on bright sunny days, should still be able to give great pleasure.

PS. be very careful with the original leather strap - those things can weaken over time. I wouldn't hang a binocular (especially a large one like yours) off my shoulder or neck on a leather strap without being absolutely sure it could withstand the weight.

Thank you for your thoughtful response. I've sent them to Sudddarth for cleaning and evaluation and anxiously wait for their response. I've also been thinking about the balance between preserving the historical value and the ability to actually use them.

They belonged to a friend of my dad. He died around 1960 and they came into my family some time after that. The only time I can remember using them was when I took them to the Woodstock Festival in 1969. I have no real memory of them after that. My brother recently found them in his house. His comment was he had no idea how he wound up with them. So, in my family there is a real gap in their history between 1969 and now but they have been in our possession a long time.

If you look carefully at the photograph of the right eyepiece, just below the serial numbers are the letters VC. I was wondering about the significance of those letters until it occurred to me that my Dad's friend's name was Vincent Callahan. It's likely they are his initials so it's also likely he was the original purchaser.

- Pete

I wonder if Suddarth or another technician could get the lenses and prisms coated - which would detract from its original status, but would significantly improve its viewing qualities (and you might be replacing the original leatherette covering anyway).
Good call, and for a family heirloom that is already on its way to have work done, I’d be wanting the coatings upgraded and the leatherette covering replaced too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back