• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus 8x40 DPS I (1 Viewer)

After hours of reading on this forum and seeing no mention of my Olympus 8x40 DPS I, I can safely assume they are not good for birding. I have been picking through recommendations considering my budget - I'd like to stay under $500. I have developed a list: GPO PASSION 8X42, VORTEX VIPER 8X42 and CELESTRON TRAILSEEKER ED 8X42.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I am open to used to get a better set. I admit I am leaning towards the GPOs

Thanks all!
Hope you all have a super holiday which ever you celebrate
SNOW

Welcome to the forum. The Olympus 8x40 DPS I was known as the Trooper model. If you enter Trooper in the search box you will find some members comments on the Troopers but it will take a bit of scrolling past word associations and movies. Having had them in the past and still having the 7x35 DPS R, I wouldn't say they are no good for birding, but there are certainly much better options out there these days.
You have a list of 3 good roofs to try, so see if you can find someplace to try them, or order them online and return if you are not satisfied.
I wouldn't be in any big rush, so take your time and make sure what you get suits your eyes for comfort and ease of use.

Welcome to the forum. The Olympus 8x40 DPS I was known as the Trooper model. If you enter Trooper in the search box you will find some members comments on the Troopers but it will take a bit of scrolling past word associations and movies. Having had them in the past and still having the 7x35 DPS R, I wouldn't say they are no good for birding, but there are certainly much better options out there these days.
You have a list of 3 good roofs to try, so see if you can find someplace to try them, or order them online and return if you are not satisfied.
I wouldn't be in any big rush, so take your time and make sure what you get suits your eyes for comfort and ease of use.
Thanks! Trooper I didn't know that. I will take my time for sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back