• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

On The Hoof - Fieldwork From Orkney (3 Viewers)

AGree with Paschalis with regard to my favourites. Nice work indeed Tim. Think a can of Stella in the hide would look better though...;)

Breathtakingly good work here again. I love the capture of light on these. How do you do it? Everytime I see stuff like this I do compare it what I do and say 'one day maybe I'll be able to draw like this'. I would think those days are still some way off!

Wonderfully inspiring stuff.

Russ

All of this is inspiring stuff, the colour skua is glowing, you just dont get work on paper like this unless painted outdoors. Enjoyed your last blog post immensely also...

All of them are brilliant but the coloured ones -Wheatear and skua-
are my favorites!They are truly bathing in light!!

Paschalis

Have to agree. What a treat to see.

And I'm dying with envy looking at that hide. I can't imagine what it must be like to sketch in what seems to be incredible comfort. I'm sure that's just a matter of the grass being greener on the other side though....

your signature species - so nothing to say here, always nothing but the best when you're doing skuas. I'm going to have to draw attention to the perfect snipe that's almost hidden in the top right hand corner of the page.

I'm selling all of my unused sketchbooks and buying beer instead...

Wonderfully light-soaked sketches, you are on a roll of 'excellentness' at the moment!

Mike

And I'm dying with envy looking at that hide. I can't imagine what it must be like to sketch in what seems to be incredible comfort. I'm sure that's just a matter of the grass being greener on the other side though....

I´m also dying with envy with hides like this, which we don´t see around here in DK. I “copied” one of them when I was in Orkney in May, just in case we might build one – with or without a Beer fridge. B :)

Like everyone else I find these sketches brilliant / breathtaking / wonderful, and they give me a lot of inspiration. I will have to repeat myself by saying that far more often I find sketches like these to be far better that finished paintings. Perhaps it´s the spontaneity when you are out there and you catch the atmosphere and light and everything………. anyway they are just superb. The coloured Skua is my absolute favorite.

Torben

Thanks folks - and thank you for the nice words about my hide! - Wootton-designed and built, I'm available for on-site construction work (assuming someone's prepared to pay the travel expenses :) ) - the beer-fridge is, of course, standard . . . contents at the owners' discretion.

OMG I got so far behind on this wonderful inspiring thread, somehow the link broke for instant notification, I just thought you were off lazing somewhere.

the hide is perfect does it have a heater? or are you using gin?

coming back again after I go to the coast, these are just too inspiring to stay home, hope to find the heermanns gulls again and give it a go.

Colleen - the Wootton-Hide refrigerator works as any normal heat exchanger - cold on the inside means warm and toasty on the outside. Perfect for parking one's backside on . .. now out you go and get those gulls ;)

OMG I got so far behind on this wonderful inspiring thread, somehow the link broke for instant notification, I just thought you were off lazing somewhere.

the hide is perfect does it have a heater? or are you using gin?

coming back again after I go to the coast, these are just too inspiring to stay home, hope to find the heermanns gulls again and give it a go.

for instant notification to subscribed threads, you have to visit the thread again after each notification otherwise it stops sending you a message. If that makes sense, I should have been asleep hours ago!

A couple of oystercatchers from last night and juv swallows from this morning - from 'the hide' B :)

Attachments

• DSCN6079.JPG
    DSCN6079.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCN6081.JPG
    DSCN6081.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN6082.JPG
    DSCN6082.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN6083.JPG
    DSCN6083.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 44
Brilliant!
I love them all , particularly the last two swallow pages..
The combination of simplicity and precision in your lines
fascinates me most!

Paschalis

too good - such intense searching for shapes and forms all expressed with such solid lines and conviction.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back