• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

On The Hoof - Fieldwork From Orkney (3 Viewers)

Have to agree with both Paschalis and Nick on these. They have the sense of both searching and precision, like you're comfortable drawing and fully focused on what you're seeing. Must be that deluxe hide!

Now that I know Tim's secret, I must build myself a hide (a 'blind' on this side of the pond) in my yard, after which I'm certain my ability to capture the essence of a bird in a few simple yet totally effective marks will rise to new heights. ;)

Like everyone else, I continue to be simply astounded at Mr. W's ability to convey so much about a bird with so little apparent effort. Just utterly amazing. The preening poses here are just so well done...glancing at them I could swear I saw actual movement of the birds from a resting posture to preening and back.

And then there's the matter of having a piece of ground on which oystercatchers show up and pose...:eek!:

I continue to be thankful to Colleen for having steered me in the direction of this forum a couple years back...!

The snipe which made a brief appearance on the pond left a bit of an impression - and I know I'll be working aother piece up from that brief encounter. Also a colour study in watercolour and pastels for an acrylic piece.

Attachments

• snipe small.JPG
    snipe small.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 87
  • mallard small.JPG
    mallard small.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 90
Snipe perfection. (Yer ducks are none too shabby either!)

Mike

what a great collection- I especially like the wetwork in grass over water

as for the hide with cut glass decanter and all

is the first hide ever built anywhere in the world ever where seat, shelf, sill n slat are at the right height for a human to comfortably use a telescope?

Oh, both are terrific... do you do your watercolours also outside Or do you do sketches there and then come home...?

Cheers.
Hi Ulrike - some are painted outside, but these larger pieces I do in the 'studio' (dining table). Recently I've been doing some work in the bird-hide which is a nice balance between the two; keeps the wind and rain off and offers a decent sitting position whilst having the action directly in front of me.

Both are great Tim, but the one of the snipe is just spot on – pure magic to me!
The impression your sketch does to me is that it´s as if the snipe seems to be in sort of eye contact with the onlooker ( in this case you ) and this is what makes it come to life in a way. I can almost feel as if the snipe knows you are there sketching “him”. The position of the legs/feet tells me “ups…. stop here before moving on” – the snipe being in a sort of “watch out” position. It´s just like I see them around here where I live.
I don´t know if anyone else get such impressions by looking at sketches likes this, but to me this is the magic about sketches/paintings when birds comes to life and in a way “talks” to you.

And the reflections in the water are just brilliant.

Torben

That's a terrific quality of light in your snipe there Tim. Is that a bit of wax resist or where you've scuffed some marks in with the end of your brush - just to the right of the snipe?

I like the way there's a quality of being there, but un-observed by the bird. With a lot of bird artists it's obvious that the birds are drawn through a telescope - something about the foreshortening I think. I actually quite like that btw. But your snipe somehow seems more natural history than birdwatching.

Both works are quite superb, Tim. The capture of light looks like they've been inspired by Birds and Light, by you know who. They certainly wouldn't be out of place here, either.

Russ

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back