• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Once more unto the Algarve, dear friends, once more... (1 Viewer)

Andrew

wibble wibble
Monday 15th December 2008
Ludo Farm. Portugal.

A short and smooth flight brought us from the cold of Bristol airport to the warmer climes of the Algarve this morning. Picking up the hire car, a black Ford Fiesta, from Thrifty Bravacar was also a cinch and we were gazing at the birds at Ludo Farm in just over half an hour after the plane touched down in Faro.

There was an easterly breeze so it was not as balmy as we had hoped but a lot warmer than back home. Caspian Terns quartered the lagoons for prey, White Storks drifted high up, Fan-tailed Warblers foraged around the scrub below us and a few waders probed the mud of the Ria Formosa on a receding tide.

I was too tired to really start birding so after a late lunch, it was westwards to Vilamoura for some groceries and check into our apartment at Oasis Village. There were inadvertent sightings of typical Algarve birds on the way such as Cattle Egrets, Azure-winged Magpies and several Chiffchaffs.

We were trying Oasis Village instead of Bayside Salgados this year to be nearer to the prime birding location of Quinta do Lago. The apartment was very well equipped and spacious.

The evening was spent enjoying one of my favourite beers, Sagres Bohemia 1835, eating tomato ketchup flavoured Ruffles crisps and watching the one and only Fernando Mendes on ‘O Preco Certo’, the Portuguese version of ‘The Price is Right’. It was good to be back!

Tuesday 16th December 2008
Falesia Lagoon & Forte Novo. Portugal.

There was a cold easterly wind today but it remained dry and warmed up by the afternoon. After a good night’s sleep the day commenced at the bridge overlooking Falesia Lagoon and it’s large reed beds. This site is within spitting distance of Oasis Village. There could not have been a better start as I got good views of three Penduline Tits. There were also four Marsh Harriers cruising over the reed beds and the distant fields near Parc Ambiental. A lone Purple gallinule was on the far side of the lagoon. A flock of thirty Waxbills flew past. Hirundines were well represented by four House Martins and a minimum of ten Crag Martins hunting for insects over the lagoon.

We were staying local today and before we came here I had spotted a small ‘estuary’ just east of Quarteria on Google Earth and we went there next. This was Forte Novo and it was actually a lake dammed at the southern end by a beach. We parked at Praia do Forte Novo and walked east along the top of a low sandstone cliff edged by a pine wood to reach the lake. Carrying on eastward along another low pine clad cliff puts you at a large marshy area.

Plenty of gulls were on the lake so this would be a good spot to search for any rarer gulls. A few waders were also present on the southern end of the lake as well as in the pools at the eastern marsh. This was a great find as it receives no mention by previous birders in their trip reports and clearly has potential.

I filled up a whole page in my notebook with sightings from this place. The most remarkable thing was the amount of wintering Chiffchaffs. The trees were dripping with them with a minimum of a hundred birds being present. The café building and it’s few trees by the lake had about twenty birds for example. I know the Algarve has it‘s fair share of wintering Chiffchaffs but this was spectacular.

A pale phase Booted Eagle sent all the gulls up in a panic. The eagle cruised low over the lake for some time and at one point came close overhead to provide the best views of this species I have had. Another pale phase bird was also present a few hundred yards away.

The pick of the birds recorded at Forte Novo were four Crested Larks, ten Serins, six Red-crested Pochards, two Avocets, a Cattle Egret, a female Black Redstart, Yellow-legged Gulls, two Kentish Plovers, a Mediterranean Gull, five Azure-winged Magpies, a Hoopoe, a Short-toed Treecreeper, two Kingfishers, a Marsh Harrier, a Common Sandpiper and a Black-winged Stilt. This place warrants closer scrutiny on future trips as well as by other birders especially during migration periods.

After a bit of shopping we returned to Falesia Lagoon and saw the Penduline Tits once more. Now the sun was behind me so I managed some pictures of these delightful little birds. A male Sardinian Warbler also put in an appearance to push the day’s list to forty nine species before we returned for chicken casserole and to watch large numbers of Azure-winged Magpies roosting in the mimosa trees at Oasis Village.

Wednesday 17th December 2008
Quinta do Lago & Dunas Douradas. Portugal.

Today was spent at one of my favourite birding locations. The Ria Formosa at Quinta do Lago. Granted, you have to pass through a large golf estate laden with the gratuitous abuse of Palladianism but at the end of the road is some of the best winter birding that can be had. We took a direct route from Quarteria using the minor roads instead of the N125 and reckon it cuts down on the journey a bit even with some of the road yet unfinished.

We took a long walk from the secure car park to the east for well over four hours. An adult Spoonbill was on the estuary close to the wooden footbridge as were a flock of about thirty Mediterranean Gulls. A few Bar-tailed Godwits, two Whimbrel, some Turnstones and various plovers fed on the estuary without minding the locals gathering cockles.

There is now an impressive two tier wooden hide overlooking the lake properly known as Lagoa São Lourenço. The fresh timber that was used to build the hide was aromatically satisfying. A lot of wildfowl were on the lake, predominantly Shoveler, Gadwall and Pochard. Further to the back of the lake were plenty of gulls but nothing more than the usual Lesser Black-backed Gulls and Yellow-legged Gulls. No Audouin’s, Slender-billed or Common Gulls. The undisputed star of the show were three Purple Gallinules.

Continuing alongside the edge of the golf course to the saltpans was good for a small flock of Waxbills with a Black-headed Weaver. Some recent rain had left puddles in the tracks and birds fed and bathed in them including some Serins. A casual glance at the saltpans yielded three White Storks and several Flamingo. Here the track forks to the saltpans and a dead end onto the golf course for ground staff. A scan of the hills from here saw three dark phase Booted Eagles.

On the return to the car park for lunch, an adult male Little Bittern flew out of the marsh by the track near the hide which was a most unexpected surprise indeed. I paused at the lake again to photograph the Purple Gallinules, some Azure-winged Magpies and a Common Sandpiper. A Bluethroat flew past me where the path skirts a golf course onto the estuary. The red on the tail gave it away. Fan-tailed Warblers and Sardinian Warblers were common in the low scrub. Crested Larks were also plentiful. I had enjoyed this visit with the sunshine affording the opportunity to take lots of photographs despite a faulty focus issue on my camera.

On the way back to Quarteria again using the minor roads, I turned off into Vale do Lobo following a sign pointing to a ‘Parc Naturel’. It was a good decision as there was a lake with scrub and dunes at the southern end. It turns out this was a site already in the books known as Dunas Douradas and it was good for birds. An ideal and convenient complement to a visit to Quinta do Lago.

A brief look around resulted in a Hoopoe in the southern end, a male Bluethroat in the margins of the lake, two Kingfishers, a Serin, a couple of Fan-tailed Warblers and eight Cattle Egrets roosting at the top end of the lake. That rounded off what has been a good day.

Thursday 18th December 2008
Quinta de Marim (Olhão) & Ludo Farm. Portugal.

The plan was to visit Castro Verde but once I got on to the A22 and saw huge dark grey pregnant clouds to the north suggesting heavy rain that strategy was ditched. We continued east on the A22 to the Ria Formosa at Quinta da Marim near Olhão instead.

The entry fee was now five euros for two people. There was a cold wind in the air today necessitating a coat but still quite pleasant. A lengthy walk around the reserve rewarded us with a few quality birds such as three Caspian Terns, nine Sandwich Terns, a flock of Waxbills, Azure-winged Magpies, Fan-tailed Warblers, various waders and plenty of Flamingos. As with my last visit, I found this to be the place with the most Sardinian Warblers present. They are practically everywhere.

Cutting back west through the afternoon traffic of Faro is actually easier done than said and took us to Ludo Farm. I missed a turning just east of Faro where I intended to ‘discover’ a track leading to the Ria Formosa so that is one to try next time. It is well signposted.

During a couple of hours idling at Ludo Farm, there were a Peregrine harassing the waders, a female Marsh Harrier, three more Caspian Terns, Black-tailed Godwits, Greenshanks, a Kingfisher and more Sardinian Warblers. My camera had now developed a devilish personality of it’s own with the focus issues becoming quite serious so I did not get as many pictures as I wanted here.

Attachments

• Black-headed Weaver..JPG
    Black-headed Weaver..JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 129
  • Common Waxbill..JPG
    Common Waxbill..JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 99
  • Purple Gallinule..JPG
    Purple Gallinule..JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 115
  • Quinta do Lago.JPG
    Quinta do Lago.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 107
  • Stonechat.JPG
    Stonechat.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Friday 19th December 2008
Mount Foia & Salgados Golf Course. Portugal.

On our way to Mount Foia, the car misbehaved as it refused to go into any gear. Stopping and restarting solved the problem. What a relief. It was a nice drive once we left the N125 and headed north through the country into the hills.

Upon reaching the peak of Mount Foia, it did not take too long to find my quarry, Rock Buntings. At least four birds were feeding in and around the fenced enclosures housing the aerials and associated buildings of the military communications station. They also roamed around the car park and the coffee shop allowing close approach for some pictures.

It was a lot easier to see them this time than two winters ago. Back then, I spotted one on top of a fence for a few seconds quickly and then never saw one again after that. This time I watched them for as long as I liked. Smart birds. My camera continued to play up but I managed to come away with some usable pictures.

Other notable sightings were two Woodlarks, two Dartford Warblers and a female Blue Rock Thrush. I was not fortunate enough to find any Alpine Accentors to avoid a long drive to Cabo de São Vicente later in the holiday.

After lunch and taking in the lofty panorama we dropped down into the spa village of Caldas de Monchique for a decent cup of coffee before carrying on back to Salgados golf course on the coast. John Henry had told me of some Bald Ibises that come to roost on the wires of the golf courses driving range and sure enough they were all feeding on the fairways. These birds come from the reintroduction programme in Spain and are all ringed. One of them is a youngster born in Spain. A Cattle Egret and a Kingfisher were also watched here. On the way back to the N125 there was a recently ploughed field with at least fifty Cattle Egrets snatching at freshly unearthed morsels.

It had been a satisfying day with the Rock Buntings being most obliging as well as the discovery that Liverpool have landed a plum draw with Real Madrid in the European Cup making for a great encounter to look forward to.

Saturday 20th December 2008
Fonte de Benémola. Portugal.

A morning visit to the busy and interesting Loule market was enjoyable before a drive north into the hills to check out a place marked on the map as a nature reserve called Fonte Benémola.

A brief road side stop near Querenca was fortunate as I had good close up views of at least two Crested Tits. A couple of Long-tailed Tits and a Great Spotted Woodpecker also showed to boost the trip list with a possible Green Woodpecker flying over too swiftly to be sure of.

Fonte Benémola was well signposted and easy to locate with a spacious parking area and an information panel. The board had an illustration of an Eagle Owl suggesting they must reside here. A circular walk is available here with a track along one side of the valley dropping at the end to cross over a stream via some well designed stepping stones leading to a path back along the other side of the valley.

We went as far as the stepping stones and returned the same way. The majority of birds here are probably not used to human presence. The first sign of a bird here was usually when it was flying away from you which is quite frustrating.

A Crested Tit was in the car park. Song Thrushes were quite prominent throughout as were Blackcaps and lower numbers of Sardinian Warblers. Two Red-legged Partridges, a Nuthatch, three Serins and a Southern Grey Shrike made up the numbers.

My eyes were chiefly on the skies and the hillsides scanning carefully for raptors and roosting Eagle Owls. It was a gloriously sunny and hot day which should provide plenty of thermals but the best I saw were a few Buzzards. I expect this site to provide any visiting birders a good few raptors during the breeding season. I also intended to carry on north a short way to Salir to check out another reserve marked on the map called Rocha da Pena but thought it best to return to base early to rest ahead of tomorrow’s big day out in Castro Verde.

Attachments

• Bald Ibis..JPG
    Bald Ibis..JPG
    32 KB · Views: 109
  • Crested Tit..JPG
    Crested Tit..JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 105
  • Fonte Benémola..JPG
    Fonte Benémola..JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 85
  • Rock Bunting..JPG
    Rock Bunting..JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 107
  • Rock Bunting2.jpg
    Rock Bunting2.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Sunday 21st December 2008
Castro Verde. Portugal.

An early rise and on the A2 toll road north to the exceptional birding destination of Castro Verde with two simple aims. One was to catch up on two birds I missed two years ago which were Calandra Lark and Little Bustard. The second was to enjoy some top drawer birding.

The A2 offers an effortless and relatively traffic free drive for about five euros. A few Spotless Starlings, Azure-winged Magpies and the first Black-shouldered Kite of the day were noted on the way.

Once off the A2 we explored the gently undulating plains using the popular N123 Castro Verde to Mertola road with a detour on the productive track to Rolão and Guerreiro as well as the track to Salto that branches north off the N123 just past São Marcos da Ataboeira then returning to the A2 via the N2 to Almdôvar.

All the usual plains birds were seen in healthy numbers. For example, Great Grey Shrikes were on the wires all over the place and I gave up counting at sixteen. Lapwings were also prolific as were Red-legged Partridges.

We ignored the cautionary advice of hunters being out in force on weekends and came today to avoid the traffic. The hunters were certainly out in numbers. Near Salto there was a line of more than twenty shotgun toting men walking over fields to flush birds. I didn’t let this trouble me and continued with the birding. Fortunately, being deaf I do not hear the harrowing shots ringing out to signal a bird‘s summary death sentence.

At least six Hoopoes were noted. Two or three Little Owls were seen with one occupying a ruined building close to the N123. Plenty of White Storks were evident with the row of nests still at São Marcos da Ataboeira by the entrance to the Bustard reserve. Red Kites were seen many times all over. Two Hen Harriers were seen too, a ringtail and a nice male.

The track to Rolão and Guerreiro proved especially rewarding. An early stop in one of the many passing places and walking to the brow of a hill scored me a flock of forty three Great Bustards feeding in some recently ploughed fields. As I was scanning them with the scope, two Little Bustards flew into view with one settling in a ploughed field. I was so delighted to connect with this much desired lifer. A bit later along this track I inadvertently flushed two small flocks of four and six Little Bustards. This time I could see the black and white wing markings distinctly as they flew away from me. There was another flock of twenty six Great Bustards viewable from the car yet a little further along the track.

A short grassy field had plenty of Skylarks and Corn Buntings feeding in it. Watching these birds carefully, I found a minimum of nineteen Calandra Larks. Another lifer in the bag! They were quite far-off and there was a problematic heat haze in between but selecting the nearest birds and watching them allowed good views of their thick bills and breast markings. They were also picked out without difficulty due to their largeness. The Corn Buntings were another prominent bird of the plains with there being hundreds easily.

The road to Salto was a good track to take. There are plenty of stopping places to get out and scan. I was blessed enough to see a trio of Common Cranes from this track. I nearly got a nice flight shot of them when they took off but a sizeable clump of grass in front of me ruined the shot.

Six Stone-curlew showed in flight by the bridge over the Ribeira des Cobres. A Black-shouldered Kite was also seen here as well as the track to Salto. The best Black-shouldered Kite sighting I had though was one perched atop a telegraph pole on the edge of the N393 between Almdôvar and the A2 but this was a source of great frustration. Down in the Algarve there is a lamentably common trait amongst the drivers for tailgating. One such driver was precariously inches off my back bumper when I saw this fantastic Black-shouldered Kite so I could not slow down or stop to admire it. Needless to say I vented my frustration at him with a few selective hand gestures as he passed me!

Other birds that made it into the little black book were a few Ravens, a couple of Fan-tailed Warblers, two Serins, several Cattle Egrets, three Black Redstarts and four Kestrels.

Just like my last visit, it had been an immeasurably gratifying day’s birding and my self-esteem had been served a large slice of goodness. The vast expanses of uncluttered openness with a few trees and buildings here and there appeal to my disposition greatly. I feel free and untroubled here.

Sophocles said “One must wait until the evening to see how splendid the day has been”. Surely if he was sat watching the football and supping Sagres Bohemia 1835 with as much tired contentment as I was this evening then he’d agree it could not have gone any more splendidly!

Monday 22nd December 2008
Parc Ambiental, Falesia Lagoon & Praia de Falesia. Portugal.

It was rather cloudy and windy today. Today was spent on local venues starting at Parc Ambiental which is only five minutes from Oasis Village. It was a disheartening shock to arrive and find a vast tract outside Parc Ambiental was a muddy and very busy construction site. Granted, building never stops in the Algarve but it is not good to witness it on the doorstep of one of the nature reserves. The construction company had even ploughed through the fence and concreted a water discharge system into the stream. This intrusion aside, the bulk of the reserve is still untouched. Hopefully the discourse of water into the stream has been negotiated with the conservation body responsible for the reserve and is to it’s good.

A long walk to the hide overlooking the pools and back via a circular route was enjoyed despite the few species recorded. As usual wintering Blackcaps were noted in hundreds here with Chiffchaffs also widespread. A few Sardinian Warblers were also recorded.

There were just a few species on the pools including Little Grebes, a Little Egret, Coots and an occasional Marsh Harrier drifting over. One of the Little Grebes and the Little Egret came close to the hide offering good photograph opportunities.

The overnight rains formed puddles in the tracks which attracted a large flock of Goldfinches carrying four Serins and five Linnets. A Kestrel intruded on the party and managed to carry off one of the Goldfinches for it‘s lunch.

On the way back to the car, there was an amazing spectacle of at least a hundred and fifty four Cattle Egrets foraging in a field that was ploughed just minutes ago. These Cattle Egrets really are on the ball down here!

Looking from the road bridge at Falesia Lagoon nearby rewarded me with three Marsh Harriers, a Caspian Tern but it was too windy to see the Penduline Tits. I settled on trying to obtain some flight photos of the Marsh Harriers. I think I got one or two but the ‘perfect’ shot I obtained content wise annoyingly turned out to be out of focus.

A walk from Praia de Falesia to the mouth of the Ribeira de Quarteria and back along the beach got a Sandwich Tern and a Common Sandpiper in the harbour, a Bluethroat in the riverside rocks and a few Gannets offshore to round the day off.

Attachments

• Castro Verde 01..JPG
    Castro Verde 01..JPG
    21 KB · Views: 104
  • White Stork..JPG
    White Stork..JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 100
  • Great Bustard..JPG
    Great Bustard..JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 125
  • Cattle Egret..JPG
    Cattle Egret..JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 115
  • Marsh Harrier..JPG
    Marsh Harrier..JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Tuesday 23rd December 2008
Lagoa dos Salgados. Portugal.

The winds persisted today so the plan to go to Cabo de São Vicente for the Alpine Accentors was firmly elbowed. Lagoa dos Salgados also known as Pêra Marsh provided an ideal alternative.

Before setting off, I had a good time photographing Azure-winged Magpies on the lawn outside the apartment after effortlessly tempting them down with broken biscuits. I felt like the Pied Piper of Hamelin. I had to scare off a few of the local cats with some saucepans of cold water though. Most unusual was a Short-toed Treecreeper climbing a tree trunk within the grounds of the complex.

Upon arrival at Lagoa dos Salgados it was shocking to find the lagoon empty after the beach had been breached yet again especially as John Henry had recently seen it full of water. I was also shocked to see countless spent shotgun cartridges on the exposed bed of the lagoon. They were all blue so obviously the work of one person or one hunting party. Mindless morons!

Despite the lack of water some quality birds were present. A flock of fifteen Black-winged Stilts huddled together near the mouth of the outflow awaiting the return of the water levels. Three Purple Gallinules pulled out the exposed reed stubble and fed on their roots. A Southern Grey Shrike was settled in the trees on the edge of the golf course. Two Water Pipits were picked out of many Meadow Pipits on the western side of the empty lagoon as was a female Bluethroat. Seven Spoonbills roosted in the middle with several Grey Herons. A Peregrine, a Marsh Harrier, three Mediterranean Gulls, three Common Sandpipers, thirty Golden Plover, Fan-tailed Warblers, Crested Larks, Crag Martins two Kingfishers and Kentish Plovers were the other notable birds. A few Skylark were in the dunes but no Lesser Short-toed Larks or Stone-curlews.

Before coming away, I watched two of the Bald Ibises and another Purple Gallinule feeding close to the Salgados Golf Course entrance and got some usable photographs. The rest of the evening was spent in the Algarve Shopping complex at Guia where I eagerly picked up a few bottles of Port.

Wednesday 24th December 2008
Cabo de São Vicente. Portugal.

Early this morning, the calm trees within Oasis Village suggested a lack of wind so it was westwards to Cabo de São Vicente for the Alpine Accentors.

It was exasperating after the tediously long drive to fail to find them in over two hour’s of committed searching. There were many Black Redstarts and six Thekla Larks though to keep me entertained. Having heard of other birders seeing the Alpine Accentors very recently increased the frustration and stress levels over the search as it was my second visit in two years where I had failed to see them. The Ring Ouzels and Blue Rock Thrushes were also refusing to play ball. There was a reasonable candidate for a Lesser Kestrel that flew to the cliffs but I lost sight of it. Not much was going my way today.

After lunch I had one last look before leaving to check out the track to Vale Santo. I had been advised the dirt track from Vale Santo to Vila do Bispo would be easily navigable but the potholes in the track often covered the entire width of the track and it was just a bore weaving between them. Turning back to explore the area around Vale Santo was opted for instead.

Five Cattle Egrets and a flock of Golden Plover were feeding in a ploughed field. Mixed flocks of Common Starlings and Spotless Starlings were by the farm buildings. Lapwings were everywhere. Two Ravens and plenty of Jackdaws were present but the star attraction was a flock of seventeen Choughs feeding on the grassy plains. I managed to inch close enough to one or two for some photographs. Not sharp ones but usable nevertheless. Two or three Southern Grey Shrikes were noted on the roadside wires. After a long drive back home I was quite tired and disappointed with how today went.

Attachments

• Cabo de São Vicente.JPG
    Cabo de São Vicente.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Chough, Vicente.jpg
    Chough, Vicente.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 110
  • Thekla Lark.JPG
    Thekla Lark.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Thursday 25th December 2008
Quinta do Lago & Forte Novo. Portugal.

It is commonly assumed that today is Jesus Christ’s birthday so I allowed myself the luxury of a brief lie in this morning before setting off to Quinta do Lago for some quality birding.

At least thirty Crag Martins had been roosting overnight on the wall of a block of apartments close to Oasis Village. I had thought of trying to get some photographs but it would have meant pointing my scope at someone’s bedroom window so I thought it was not such a wise idea.

The road to Quinta do Lago was virtually traffic free as everyone was having a longer lie in than I did! Two and half hours were spent west of the car park at Quinta do Lago walking out just past the saltpans.

Six Spoonbills were present including two in the saltpans that flew off just as I had gingerly inched within ‘quality photograph’ range. A Water Pipit and two admirable male Bluethroats were in the estuarine scrub just past the lake. Two waders were added to the trip list which were a Knot and six Little Stints. Four Kingfishers were seen including two chasing each other around the lake. An unexpected Crested Tit was the first I had come across here. A cooperative male Sardinian Warbler posed nicely just by the lake to allow me to get a few decent pictures. Two Waxbills fed in the company of the Crested Lark whilst a few larger flocks flew about.

The tide had risen by early afternoon to push some waders to roost on the edge of the lake and a flood pool close by. Returning the way we came into Quinta do Lago until reaching roundabout number two and turning left down the road named ‘Avenida Ayrton Senna da Silva’ took us to the westernmost car park by this lake and pool. I then reacquainted myself with some of the aforementioned waders and took some pictures with the sun coming off my back.

Before returning to the apartment, I had another look at Forte Novo this time taking a track signposted Praia do Almargem which led us to the eastern bank of the lake. This brief visit provided a drake Red-crested Pochard, two Kentish Plovers, four Black-winged Stilts and a Cetti’s Warbler.

The gulls on the water amounted to nothing more than the usual Black-headed Gulls, Yellow-legged Gulls and Lesser Black-backed Gulls. I now believe this lake serves as a pre-roost gathering site as many of them began to fly off as the afternoon wore on.

Jesus Christ's birthday was finished off with a roast chicken for tea, watching a Mr Bean movie with Portuguese subtitles, supping Port and munching mint chocolates. Cushy.

Friday 26th December 2008
Sítio das Fontes, Alvor Estuary & Abicada Marsh. Portugal.

I was up early and again tempting the Azure-winged Magpies down to the lawn outside the balcony with broken biscuits so I could take some more photographs of these charismatic birds before breakfast. Quite a few of them had now got used to me and were coming down without the need for me to hide behind the patio doors.

The first port of call was Sítio das Fontes near Estômbar where a Rustic Bunting and a Little Bunting had recently been seen at some rice stubble fields. It was a new site for me and was well signposted from Estômbar.

The main part of the ‘reserve’ consisted of a picnic and heritage area with a riverside walk which I think was intended for educational purposes. The rice fields are past the reserve car park and offer an ideal place to bird when visiting the Alvor Estuary nearby.

There were large numbers of White Storks feeding in the stubble. This was however a difficult place to work as you had to keep finding clear rows between the deep stubble to scan. Many birds were present but the soonest I got wind of them was when they flew out of the stubble and I can not identify birds on call which created one frustrated birder.

The logbook still had a few nice birds going into it including Reed Buntings, a Kingfisher on the small lake, a few Black-winged Stilts, a Peregrine, a Southern Grey Shrike, two Hoopoes, plenty of Common Snipe, one Bluethroat and at least two Water Pipit. I believe there were probably several Water Pipits but the restricted views down the rows of stubble prevented me being certain and plenty of Meadow Pipits were present to confuse matters

The only Brimstone seen during the trip fluttered purposefully across the stubble fields. After lunch in the car park of the ‘reserve’ it was onwards to the Alvor Estuary. The sun was out in force and the wind was not too bad today but the exposure of this location still created a chillier wind than inland. It is advisable to pick a calm day as this place can be most cold when a harsh wind whips in off the sea. It was still much warmer than back home I must say.

A circular walk between the fields and the marsh out to the fish farm then back along the seawall produced some good birds. Four Caspian Terns were roosting with the gulls, waders and Cormorants in the salt pans. An Osprey was perched atop a telegraph pole within the fish farm appreciatively sizing up the easy pickings. It knew which slice it’s bread was buttered. A flock of about thirty Spanish Sparrows fed along the path around the marsh. Other birds noted were Black-winged Stilts, a few Flamingos, Avocets, Knot, Little Stints, and two Mediterranean Gulls.

I was fortunate to meet a resident ex-pat birder Colin Key and his gentle yet affectionate dog, Bodi. We had a good chat about the birds seen so far, conservation issues and birding locations.

On our way home, we had a look over Abicada Marsh from the end of the track to Ruinas Romana (Roman ruins). The light was dropping but it was good enough to pick out a female Marsh Harrier, a Southern Grey Shrike and hundreds of Azure-winged Magpies going to roost.

Back at the apartment I served up a treat for tea of boiled camarãos (very large prawns) followed by chorizo and couscous stuffed peppers. Yummy.

Attachments

• Azure-winged Magpie.JPG
    Azure-winged Magpie.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 111
  • Black-winged Stilt & Redshank.JPG
    Black-winged Stilt & Redshank.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 113
  • Caspian Tern.JPG
    Caspian Tern.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 106
  • Kentish Plover.JPG
    Kentish Plover.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Osprey, Alvor Estuary.jpg
    Osprey, Alvor Estuary.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Saturday 27th December 2008
Quinta do Lago & Dunas Douradas. Portugal.

It was much cloudier today with a brisk easterly wind and a threat of rain. Without the sun for most of the day it was distinctly chillier but we still enjoyed good birding starting at Quinta do Lago with a walk to the east of the car park.

Many of the usual birds were noted. The highlights were flocks of Waxbills, four Purple Gallinule, just one drake Red-crested Pochard, three Spoonbills and two Caspian Terns. The Spoonbills were roosting close to the wooden footbridge over the Ria Formosa on the rising tide allowing a few birders to get close for some photographs. It turned out that my lightweight coat was not sufficient enough and this was one of the coldest days of the trip so far.

After lunch we moved over to Dunas Douradas where it was comfortably sheltered. Four Cattle Egret were roosting on the dead trees in the lake as before. My attention focussed on the southern bank where the recent rains had flooded this end of the lake and created a swampy marsh chock full of Common Snipe. There were at least twenty flying out as I explored the marsh. I managed to see just one Bluethroat but I suspect there were more as most of the area was under water and inaccessible. Three Hoopoes were feeding on the drier land closer to the dunes.

Something had sent all the birds on the lake up into the air and a Little Bittern flew from the lakeside trees. That is now two wintering Little Bitterns spotted during this fortnight.

I had some fun nearer the car park where the ground was covered in a carpet of short weeds and grasses with a few Fan-tailed Warblers creeping through it like a mouse. I had them at my feet sometimes. They are such enjoyable birds when viewed up close without binoculars.

For no reason, I decided to call it a day just after four o’clock and it was fortuitous as it started to rain then.

Sunday 28th December 2008
Lagoa dos Salgados & Falesia Lagoon. Portugal.

Dark gunmetal skies delivered rain this morning so we set off late to explore Albufeira town to find some bottles of Niepoort to take home. I have for some time wished I had a smoker’s pipe for silly poses whilst having my photograph taken. With much glee, I found one in a junk shop for a mere two and a half euros! I almost plumped for a harmonica too but settled for blasting a few loud random notes and putting it back on the shelf!

The sun graciously came out and bathed us in warmth at noon so we visited Lagoa dos Salgados nearby. It was now thankfully holding plenty of water courtesy of the rains. I had an enjoyable time wandering around aimlessly and taking photographs. On the last day I had managed to obtain some pictures of a Fan-tailed Warbler as well as a female Bluethroat. There were lots of the former and three of the latter.

Eight Mediterranean Gulls, two Caspian Terns, two Purple Gallinules, fifty three Black-winged Stilts and four Pintail were observed on the lagoon. Three White Stork were feeding just west of the lagoon unperturbed by people walking close by. Skylark flocks, Red-legged Partridges and two Iberian Hares were in the dunes.

On our way back to Vilamoura, there were mile long queues of cars trying to get into the sales in Algarve Shopping. Mercifully, we did not get tangled up in this traffic jam and got back to Falesia Lagoon to round off the holiday perfectly by seeing two fabulous male Penduline Tits close to the bridge as well as a Black-shouldered Kite hunting over the reed bed and mobbing a roosting Buzzard before it flew off towards the golf courses. I met another birder here who had also seen Penduline Tits on the lagoon at Parc Ambiental.

Sadly, we had to return home to England early in the morning. I had really enjoyed this winter birding trip in the Algarve and dearly wished we were here for another week. Without chasing birds, we had seen a hundred and twenty three species altogether.

Attachments

• Black-shouldered Kite.JPG
    Black-shouldered Kite.JPG
    4.8 KB · Views: 120
  • Bluethroat.JPG
    Bluethroat.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 126
  • Penduline Tit.JPG
    Penduline Tit.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 117
  • Sardinian Warbler.JPG
    Sardinian Warbler.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 109
  • Sponbill.JPG
    Sponbill.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
The sources of info cut and pasted from last year's report with some additions................

A Birdwatcher’s Guide to Portugal and Madeira by Moore, Elias & Costa
ISBN : 1871104076
(Limited to about three or four sites for the Algarve but very useful and doubles up if you ever go to Madeira.)

Summer Birding on the Central Algarve by John Hardacre
ISBN : 0-9552302-0-9
(Although it is a summer based book, it is useful for the maps and site descriptions.)

Detail Map Algarve (Southern Portugal) 1;200000
ISBN-10: 3-8297-6235-6
(A good map but very large and unweildy to use in a car. You will manage okay with the smaller maps they give away free with your hire car anyway.)

Rough Guide Map The Algarve 1:100,000
ISBN 978-1-84353-307-8
(This was a wonderful map and a massive improvement on the above mentioned map. Smaller scale contours too. Highly recommended.)

Various trip reports on the internet and some excellent advice from BF’s very own john-henry of whom I am once again indebted to.

Constant monitoring of an excellent Portuguese birding forum which has an English section in it.
http://aves.team-forum.net/birds-of-portugal-in-english-f10/

And to finish off for now, here's some more pics. A video shall be uploaded to the net as soon as I can and pasted here.

Attachments

• Crested Lark.JPG
    Crested Lark.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 107
  • Fan-tailed Warbler.JPG
    Fan-tailed Warbler.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 83
  • Little Grebe..JPG
    Little Grebe..JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 102
  • Little Stint.JPG
    Little Stint.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 105
  • Turnstone.JPG
    Turnstone.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
This is great trip report, it's just a shame your pictures don't get much bigger when I click on the thumbnails. Can you save them again or do you have another site with them on?
Cheers
Chris

I thouroughly enjoyed reading your report Andrew, I felt I was there. I wonder when the book and DVD are coming out.

Very well written and entertaining.

Great report Andrew, really cleaned up with virtually everything you wanted.

Wish I was back there now don't you?

Aye, it would be good to be back there right now supping Portuguese beer and trying to decipher what they are saying on some tacky quiz show knowing there is another good day's birding to come in the morning.

I thouroughly enjoyed reading your report Andrew, I felt I was there. I wonder when the book and DVD are coming out.

Very well written and entertaining.

Cheers mate. I'll have a signed copy for you!

Andrew, you have got me considering a holiday in winter.... we were at Quinta do Lago a couple of years ago during the summer and whilst I picked up a few nice birds, short-toed treecreeper for one, nowhere near as much as you got.
Before I broach the subject with 'She who must be obeyed', what was the weather like for someone who likes ligging out in the sun? If t'wife can't grab some rays I can't go birding.
Top notch report, and I'm glad the shed on scaffold poles has gone, did not like that one bit.

Hi Keith,

Algarve in winter is a real mixed bag weather wise. 'She who must be obeyed' will certainly not be getting her bikini out.

Some days it rains. Some days the cold winds come from the east.

On the whole it is a lot warmer than Blighty in winter and I would say so far each trip I have more than ten out of fourteen days of 'jumper days' with a few 'T-shirt days'.

Generally it starts to really hot up at 1pm until 4pm on the good days and gets dark about five or five thirty.

On the coldest days I am wearing my summer jacket.

It is more like mid-spring. A simple rule to keep everyone happy would be to do the coast on the good days and go inland on the windier days.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Andrew, you have got me considering a holiday in winter.... we were at Quinta do Lago a couple of years ago during the summer and whilst I picked up a few nice birds, short-toed treecreeper for one, nowhere near as much as you got.
Before I broach the subject with 'She who must be obeyed', what was the weather like for someone who likes ligging out in the sun? If t'wife can't grab some rays I can't go birding.
Top notch report, and I'm glad the shed on scaffold poles has gone, did not like that one bit.

Keith, I've found the weather a lot better in November, especially the first 2 weeks and the birds are about the same. I expect the 'boss' could have a few days/part days sitting in some warm sunshine while you concentrated on the important things :-O

That is a super report of your trip Andrew! :t: I have been to a few of the places that you visited and so it is nice to hear about what is around, it is also nice to read about other sites that I haven't been to yet! It was a shame to hear that Pera Marsh was void of water again, it is a wonder that the birds keep going back there with the sudden change in habitat for them, lets hope something can be done in the near future to stop this happening so much.

Algarve in December

Brill report and great pics Andrew,
Great to see you can get such a range of bird species in the middle of winter!
Nice one!
Mick

Sunday 21st December 2008
Castro Verde. Portugal.

Just like my last visit, it had been an immeasurably gratifying day’s birding and my self-esteem had been served a large slice of goodness. The vast expanses of uncluttered openness with a few trees and buildings here and there appeal to my disposition greatly. I feel free and untroubled here.

Excellently put, Andrew; I've always felt similarly at Castro Verde, without having ever worked out why...
I've enjoyed few areas better, that's for sure.

Very enjoyable trip report :t:

Trevor

Emma, Mick and Trevor, I am glad you all also enjoyed it and that a few places were brought back to mind for you.

I think I may be back sooner than I thought.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back