• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Once more unto the Algarve, dear friends, once more... (1 Viewer)

Rocha Da Pena

Saturday 20th December 2008
Fonte de Benémola. Portugal.

........ I also intended to carry on north a short way to Salir to check out another reserve marked on the map called Rocha da Pena but thought it best to return to base early to rest ahead of tomorrow’s big day out in Castro Verde.

Hi Andrew,
I went to Rocha da Pena just this last week whilst staying around Loule. Interesting but fairly challenging 5Km walk (8km if you include the Windmills, which we didn't) We perhaps should have started earlier in the day when it wasn't so hot 8-P my partner was flagging a bit half way round, mind you she was loaded like a pack horse ;) Seriously though it is steep in places and rocky. Was hoping for Bonelli's Eagle but out of luck, not one bird of prey. Did get reasonable view of a Rock Bunting though and a great photo of a "Scarce Swallowtail butterfly". No other birds of note but then I guess mid afternoon in June is not the best time.!! The track is fairly well marked and you can get a leaflet from the Cafe but we got a little lost in the Village of Penina and make sure you don't set off down the tarmac road out of the village otherwise you'll end up in Benafim. The dirt track is the one back to the start at Rocha.

Kitey (Craig)

Evening Craig,

Thanks for taking the time to post about how you got one at Rocha da Pena. Glad you saw Rock Buntings there which shows it is a good place for something. I suppose the numbers game will reveal further visits producing a few raptors.

I was back in the Algarve in late May and neglected this place once again. I wish I had not. I didn't even go to Fonte de Benémola either. The only solution is to go back to the Algarve and put that right which I do not need persuading too much to do so!

Muito obrigado,
Andrew.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back