• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ooooo-er.....(x2) (5 Viewers)

Negligible flank streaks, contrast between buff washed throat and white belly - not much mantle straking.. Can't see the bill, but its got Tripity face too. Thats where I'd put my money. Don't suppose it called like a 1second burst of Savis Warbler did it?

Have to say that these Pipits etc leave me completely baffled....

I do appreciate that it's probably easier to id if you can see the way that they act or maybe hear them sing etc etc, but even that's not much help to me, as I'm too inexperienced to recognise one from another anyway...

On the same day, I saw another bird that was posing nicely, beautifully lit only about 15 feet away and did look very similar to this one (to my eyes at least..) I was mentally re-running many of the id tips that I'd gleaned from BF regarding how to tell one Pipit from another. When the bird flew, it was a Skylark!! Doh!!

There's only one solution..... B :) B :) B :) ;)

Jane,

After the last round of Tree vs Meadow debate over CJW's bird you may be right, I haven't seen a Tree Pipit properly for a couple of years and was thinking in terms of Rock / Water / Meadow. Let's see what everyone else says.

Stephen.

Jane Turner said:
They are up the West coast already!
You're 120 miles south of me! - and birds also move north a good week to two weeks earlier up the warmer west coast, than they do up the east coast (even within Northumbs, a lot of the summer visitors arrive in the high inland valleys some time before they reach the coastal strip)

The North Sea is still only 7°C this time of year, and it keeps the land to about the same, when the west is regularly getting 15°C.

Michael

Stephen Dunstan said:
Jane,

After the last round of Tree vs Meadow debate over CJW's bird you may be right, I haven't seen a Tree Pipit properly for a couple of years and was thinking in terms of Rock / Water / Meadow. Let's see what everyone else says.

Stephen.

I still can't make CJW's into a Tripit... but since it called.....???

I still reckon CJW took a pic of the wrong bird!! :)
(sit back and wait for the explosion from the North of the island.)

and for what its worth I agree on the Tree pipit on this thread. :)

Its not like the old days when you could mix up the slides..... but I'd have bet a grand on that bird not being a tripit on the photo.

Hi All,

I was having a bit of a read-up about the knotty subject of Pipits and what appears to be a good id point of Tree Pipits compared to Meadow Pipit is the long hind claw.

This is another pic of the pesky bird in question, which looks to me to have a (very) long hind claw..... I guess that doesn't rule out Skylark either??

Attachments

• pipit2.JPG
    pipit2.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 88
I'm in a hotel room looking at a tiny laptop screen.... but this has to be a different bird! The contrast between the upper breast buff wash and lower white belly has gone, the head pattern has changed and the flanks now have huge streaks..... if its really the same bird then I'm worried! First we have CJW's Tripit which looks nothing like one, now we have a Mipit that is impressionist... or is a Tript that can turn into a Mipit...

Jane Turner said:
Where did the flank streaks reappear from?

Hmmmmmm!! I see what you mean.....

I took a series of 6 shots of Pipitty looking things in the same spot and at a quick glance they all looked much the same....

However.... upon further examination, I see that birds 1-5 all look alike and the pics were all taken within 30 secs of each other. Pic #6 (which was the first one on this thread) was actually taken 2 mins later and certainly does appear to be a different bird.....

Now I come to think about, I seem to recall that there were 2 birds kinda following one another about, and I reckon that I've probably got shots of them both here....

Sorry for the confusion.....

So what do we think bird #2 might be??

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back