• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opinion on CN (1 Viewer)

The Smyth field flattener dates from about the 1870s.
Hardly a Swarovski invention.

Swarovski did have two layer coatings in about 1948, but this came from Liechtenstein.

It reminds me of Leica claims.
Leica invented the 35mm still film camera. They didn't. There were much earlier examples.
Leica invented the 36x24mm film frame. They didn't.
Leica had the fastest lenses. They didn't. There were much faster other lenses, some adapted to Leica cameras without protest from Leica.

Some folks seem to get worked up when their favourite binoculars are described for what they are.

Personally, I would hope that a £3,000 binocular would be good and I don't trust Chinese binoculars, although I have some.

What is a shame is the vast range of quality from one sample to another.
This is usually less in top end binoculars, although with spotting scopes, poor examples of expensive scopes seem to be quite common.

Regards,
B.

The photo is of course Matterhorn; "banner cloud" isn't a specifically Chinese term, I had just never heard it before (and I live at the foot of mountains).

The underlying question here is when interest or enthusiasm becomes "hype". I suppose hype involves some story of what's wrong with an entire situation and how the brilliant new product reveals it. We don't have to live with blurry edges anymore? Alphas shouldn't cost so much? The West is doomed? But I don't need stories, just binoculars I can enjoy using without reservations.

Personally...
1. I really don't worry about what others say outside of a handful of folks. I trust in the Lord and not BF or CN. I certainly don't worry about what complete strangers write on the internet.
2. I have used enough binoculars for a long enough time to have a pretty good understanding.
3. I can promise that Banner Cloud is WAY down on my list of priorities! LOL
4. Don't let 'em get to you!

There is a big difference in buying from an established respected brand name rather than new names that keep popping up on the internet.

Especially if the products are direct from China.

I don't know about Banner Cloud as this is new to me.

I think it takes at least ten years for a brand to establish itself, and to be based in the U.K., US, or Europe.
Preferably 50 or 100 years.

Sure, you can take a risk and get a very good binocular from China.
You can also get utter rubbish.
In addition, sometimes the Chinese direct product starts off well and goes downhill from there.

I have been dealing with Chinese goods for sixty years.

Regards,
B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back