• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Hyundai Kit or Pansonic Fz-38 (1 Viewer)

karpman

Hey guys

Just looking for some good old down to earth honest opinions.

First of all I'm not looking to win any competitions just get some record shots.
I have a Opticron imagic 65 scope with hr 28x eyepiece and a budget of about 250 max.

My issues are would i be better using the hyundai offering from opticron or plumping for a panasonic super zoom?

Or maybe get a compact make and adapter to scope and get a hdf eyepiece any help will be greatly appreciated.

Karpman:t:

Hey guys

Just looking for some good old down to earth honest opinions.

First of all I'm not looking to win any competitions just get some record shots.
I have a Opticron imagic 65 scope with hr 28x eyepiece and a budget of about 250 max.

My issues are would i be better using the hyundai offering from opticron or plumping for a panasonic super zoom?

Or maybe get a compact make and adapter to scope and get a hdf eyepiece any help will be greatly appreciated.

Karpman:t:

Hi Karpman,
I've been toying with similar ideas/options. One thing to consider is that the FZ38 provides an optical zoom of x18 at 12.1MP which is 'ok' but not big enough for birding really. There is the extra optical zoom (x32?) but you only get 3MP of image to play with. That doesn't allow for cropping and zooming and potentially produces a pretty inferior image.

With the scope plus compact camera (whichever you use), you've got an eye piece giving, say, x16 magnification and if your camera has a x3 optical zoom, that easily takes you beyond the x32 of the Panasonic but still gives you 10.1MP rich image (or more, depending on camera) to play with/crop.

Of course, there's all the other issues of how good an image can you get through your scope in the first place etc etc. Hopefully others will be able to help. I'll watch with interest.
Hobbes

The hyundai would be the obvious choice as it works with opticron, other options would be cameras with a 3x or 4x optical zoom. Check previous threads to what others have combined and used.

Hey and thanks for replies.

My scope is a non ED version and I'm using the basic glass.
I bought a lumix a little while back but had to cancel order stock issues etc, It was 239.99 of a certain auction site new with lots of goodies no wonder they had no stock:-O

Thats what got me thinking about the Hyundai kit my only concern is if my scope is gonna be up to the job.

cheers karpman

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back