• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What tripod for Opticron MM4 60 Travelscope (1 Viewer)

AdiR

I’m intending to buy an Opticron MM4 60 GA ED 45 Travelscope as my first step beyond binoculars, but I don’t know where to begin in selecting a suitable tripod to go with it. Can anyone explain the features I need to consider, and recommend appropriate models (available in the UK)? Thanks!

I’m intending to buy an Opticron MM4 60 GA ED 45 Travelscope as my first step beyond binoculars, but I don’t know where to begin in selecting a suitable tripod to go with it. Can anyone explain the features I need to consider, and recommend appropriate models (available in the UK)? Thanks!
Hi, and welcome to Birdforum.
You are going to need a video head, which for scope use is far preferable to a ball head. There have been favourable reports here on the forum on the Sirui VA-5. It is light, reasonably priced, has a conterbalance and is Arca-Swiss compatible.
Have you read the tripod primer here? For the angled scope you will need a tripod with an extended height (without extended centre column) no more than 50 or 60 cm under your personal height. If you don't need the short collapsed length, three leg sections would be better than four.
Avoid those spindly tripods intended for compact or bridge cameras. They are so vibration-prone that they will make focussing at higher magnifications and viewing in a breeze difficult. Aim for bottom leg sections around 20 mm minimum. Carbon fibre would be ideal, but if you're on a budget aluminium is quite acceptable, though heavier. Look at what's available from Benro, Leofoto or Sirui for example.

John

Hi, and welcome to Birdforum.
You are going to need a video head, which for scope use is far preferable to a ball head. There have been favourable reports here on the forum on the Sirui VA-5. It is light, reasonably priced, has a conterbalance and is Arca-Swiss compatible.
Have you read the tripod primer here? For the angled scope you will need a tripod with an extended height (without extended centre column) no more than 50 or 60 cm under your personal height. If you don't need the short collapsed length, three leg sections would be better than four.
Avoid those spindly tripods intended for compact or bridge cameras. They are so vibration-prone that they will make focussing at higher magnifications and viewing in a breeze difficult. Aim for bottom leg sections around 20 mm minimum. Carbon fibre would be ideal, but if you're on a budget aluminium is quite acceptable, though heavier. Look at what's available from Benro, Leofoto or Sirui for example.

John
Hi John, thank you for your welcome and the advice. They are exactly the specifics details I was hoping to hear about. I have since looked at the tripod primer and discovered the tripods and heads thread. My question would probably have been better directed there! I’ll look up some of the models you suggest. I probably should have said that I’m looking at the budget to medium price end of the market. Thanks again.

After a little research I’ve come up with the following as possibilities:

Sirui EN2004 with Sirui VA-5 fluid head
Benro Mach3 TMA27A with the Sirui VA-5
Vanguard Veo 2 Pro233CO with VEO PH-282 2 way pan head

Incidentally, I’m 1.74m tall and will be using an angled objective.

Does anyone have experience of any of these, or have other recommendations in the same price bracket (ca £150-250 total for tripod and head)?

Last edited:
Did you total up the weight of each of these options?
Thanks for your reply.
Sirui EN2004 with Sirui VA-5 fluid head. 1.9 + 0.53 = 2.4 kg aluminium
Benro Mach3 TMA27A with the Sirui VA-5. 1. 75 + 0.53 = 2.28 kg aluminium
Vanguard Veo 2 Pro233CO with VEO PH-282 2 way pan head. 1.44 + 0.512 = 1.95 kg carbon
(The Vanguard tripod comes complete with the head)

Last edited:
Have you considered the Slik AMT tripods, such as PRO AL-323DX – SLIK Global ? I have a discontinued Slik Pro 330EZ which comes in at 1.7kg and use it with a Diascope 65mm. It's probably considered too light a tripod, but that has never bothered me. (I don't know I like the 3-way head on the 323-dx)
Edit: the 330EZ came with this head SH-707E – SLIK Global which I love 'cause you can fully lock/unlock the head with a simple twist of the handle.

Have you considered the Slik AMT tripods, such as PRO AL-323DX – SLIK Global ? I have a discontinued Slik Pro 330EZ which comes in at 1.7kg and use it with a Diascope 65mm. It's probably considered too light a tripod, but that has never bothered me. (I don't know I like the 3-way head on the 323-dx)
Edit: the 330EZ came with this head SH-707E – SLIK Global which I love 'cause you can fully lock/unlock the head with a simple twist of the handle.
Thanks, no I haven’t looked at Slik before; I’ll look up the models you suggest.

Of those you mention I think the Benro would best fit your needs. The Sirui would also be OK, but I can't see much justification for the higher price.
You would only need about 120 cm of the 135 cm unextended centre column height and the leg sections (27,24,21 mm or 27,23,19 mm?) should provide ample stability. Twist locks are IMO preferable to flip locks and although the load capacity is an arbitrary value, 14 kg looks very encouraging.

John

Of those you mention I think the Benro would best fit your needs. The Sirui would also be OK, but I can't see much justification for the higher price.
You would only need about 120 cm of the 135 cm unextended centre column height and the leg sections (27,24,21 mm or 27,23,19 mm?) should provide ample stability. Twist locks are IMO preferable to flip locks and although the load capacity is an arbitrary value, 14 kg looks very encouraging.

John
Thanks for your thoughts, John. There‘s nothing in it on price, the Benro is £119 vs £120 for the Sirui (discounted), but I agree the twist locks are simpler and easier to maintain longer term. The Benro also comes with a mini centre column so you don’t need to carry the extra weight of the longer column. I couldn‘t find much with 3 leg sections only the Veo2. So far it looks like the Benro with the Sirui head!

I had a look at the Slik, and like you, I am also dubious about the 3-way head. That rather put me off, despite it‘s competitive price, as a good part of what I would be paying for the kit would be for a head I wouldn‘t use. I‘d rather put more of that money into a better tripod. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Last edited:
I had a look at the Slik, and like you, I am also dubious about the 3-way head. That rather put me off, despite it‘s competitive price, as a good part of what I would be paying for the kit would be for a head I wouldn‘t use. I‘d rather put more of that money into a better tripod. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Well, you would buy the legs (PRO AL-323 – SLIK Global) and the 2-way head (SH-707E – SLIK Global) separately, if available in your country.

I have the Benro Wild tripod and head, TWD18A BWH4. Aluminum legs, carbon center column with hook. I paid about $160 last year. I use it with my Pentax 65mm scope but also handles my Pentax 80mm quite well.

I have the same Opticron scope that I use with a ball head, and find it to be totally adequate. The trick with a ball head is to get one that has separate controls for pan (rotation) and tilt (the ball).

I have the Benro Wild tripod and head, TWD18A BWH4. Aluminum legs, carbon center column with hook. I paid about $160 last year. I use it with my Pentax 65mm scope but also handles my Pentax 80mm quite well.
Thanks for you reply. From what I can see, the Wild series is the same as the Mach3 I’ve got on my list, but it comes in a green finish, and with a two way pan head. One to consider. I notice it only comes with 4 leg sections whereas as there is the recommended 3 section option for the Mach3. For my height, 1.75/ 5’8” ish that might not make much difference, I can’t tell how much of the fourth leg would be extended. Perhaps I’m over thinking it!

Last edited:
I have the same Opticron scope that I use with a ball head, and find it to be totally adequate. The trick with a ball head is to get one that has separate controls for pan (rotation) and tilt (the ball).
Thanks for your reply, can I ask which ball head you have?

Thanks for you reply. From what I can see, the Wild series is the same as the Mach3 I’ve got on my list, but it comes in a green finish, and with a two way pan head. One to consider. I notice it only comes with 4 leg sections whereas as there is the recommended 3 section option for the Mach3. For my height, 1.75/ 5’8” ish that might not make much difference, I can’t tell how much of the fourth leg would be extended. Perhaps I’m over thinking it!
The Wild series are available in 3 and 4 leg sections, and in alu or carbon. The Benro website showed them as discontinued a few weeks ago but they are still currently available on Amazon where I got mine.
Although the panning and tilt functions are very fluid, the tilt function does not really have variable friction control, it’s either tight or loose (fluid motion), but with a light weight scope that’s not an issue, IMO.

Last edited:
The Wild series are available in 3 and 4 leg sections, and in alu or carbon. The Benro website showed them as discontinued a few weeks ago but they are still currently available on Amazon where I got mine.
Although the panning and tilt functions are very fluid, the tilt function does not really have variable friction control, it’s either tight or loose (fluid motion), but with a light weight scope that’s not an issue, IMO.
Thanks for the info George, as far as I can see Amazon UK doesn’t have the 3 section version. Good to have a vote for this design though - in whichever version.

I use a Benro TMA37c which is a 3 section carbon fibre tripod and that appears very similar to the "Wild"series save that it is black and doesn't come with a head. I am about the same height as the OP. I rarely need the centre column raised.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back