• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Optics to try in 2023 (1 Viewer)

I remember trying a pair of Swarovski EL 8.5x42's back in 2008 when my best binocular was a Celestron Regal LX 8x42 . The affect it had on me stuck with me for many years . The Swarovski wowed me to the extreme and I never was fully happy with the Regal after that . Eventually I managed to enjoy bins like Nikon SE's and Nikon E2's . They soothed my want for a better binocular .
Back to present day . A few weeks ago I went to a local camera store to buy Peak Design quick release anchors for my Nikon Monarch HG 8x42 . The guy at the store told me to bring my bins with me so that he could install the anchors for me . While I was there I wanted to see how much better an NL pure would be over my MHG's . Unfortunately the NL Pure was a special order item so the only high end bin they had in stock was a present day Swarovski EL 8.5x42 :)
I was worried that my brief comparison of the two bins would taint my opinion of the Monarch HG . Fortunately it was the opposite . It was obvious that the EL was the better binocular but the difference was subtle to me to the point that unless I won a lottery I cannot seel myself spending more than double what I paid for the Nikon's to get a subtle difference . Sorry Swarovski .
Same happened with me and my Meopta Meostars.... compared directly to a Pure, and I was completely happy to stay with the Meopta... which was a huge, but pleasant surprise. I nearly didn't look through them, for fear of writing off the Meostars..... but I came away thinking the same as you.... it's just not worth the extra money.
But the Pures are still incredible binos.

I was worried that my brief comparison of the two bins would taint my opinion of the Monarch HG . Fortunately it was the opposite . It was obvious that the EL was the better binocular but the difference was subtle to me to the point that unless I won a lottery I cannot seel myself spending more than double what I paid for the Nikon's to get a subtle difference . Sorry Swarovski .
The HG's have some advantages of their own - very light weight compared to the EL's or NL.

Same happened with me and my Meopta Meostars.... compared directly to a Pure, and I was completely happy to stay with the Meopta... which was a huge, but pleasant surprise. I nearly didn't look through them, for fear of writing off the Meostars..... but I came away thinking the same as you.... it's just not worth the extra money.
But the Pures are still incredible binos.
This is essentially the same experience I've had lately comparing the alphas of a dozen years ago to the current crop, which are undoubtedly impressive, but still somehow leave me perfectly satisfied with SLCHD 42 or FL 32. And while money does factor in, it's not the whole story; if you offered me an even trade, I'm not sure I'd take it. This is a very nice state of affairs for us... though not so much for Swarovski or Zeiss.

Oh, and now that Elpha has mentioned it, I have to confess that I'd also love to try WX sometime, though I have little motivation to seek one out. Perhaps we should chip in to buy one for the forum, and circulate it.

Basically a given fact for all optic nerds. "Never try a bino you cannot afford." That's why I didn't look through the NL when shopping for a Kowa, even though they had one on display.

I don't know about that - if you are a true nerd, wouldn't you wish to find out what the very best binoculars are like? If you are a true nerd the quest for knowledge/experience trumps everything else. I've tried my own binoculars against more expensive (actually the main criteria was that they were thought to be optically superior) ones on several occasions and found the results both interesting and educative. There is something to be said for seeing what the best is - that way you have a really good yardstick to measure everything else by, in performance as well as price.

PS. regarding the original topic - I seem to find myself in the lucky position of having tried out most of the ones I'm interested in! I guess like to try one of the Leica 6x24s and, I suppose, the Komz 6x24 porro for curiosity's sake, although for a number of reasons (including but not limited to price) I doubt I'd ever purchase one. I'd like to look through a 6x42 Sard for the same reason (definitely not on my shopping list!) and from the more modern stable either the Fujinon or Docter 10x50 would be very interesting.

Last edited:
@Patudo
A friend of mine has a Swaro EL, so it's not like I never looked through one.
It's just so much fun to buy a ton of old porros for about 30 ā‚¬ each and find the gems among them.
But don't worry, I will probably buy a Victory SF 8x32 at one point.
It's more of a psychological thing with me. Growing up poor will have that effect. So the most I ever spent on anything that I bought just for myself was 1,000ā‚¬ for my Canon 18x50IS. I could just save a bit but I'm more of an "instant gratification" kind of guy.
Also, I'm kind of clumsy. Wouldn't wanna wreck a 2,000+ā‚¬ optic.
Edit: I have the Komz 6x24 but I like my skeleton bino in 6x25 more. It has the same FoV but more neutral color rendition and even better build quality. Only BK7 however.

I've got the bins I'm trying this year by happy accident, the e2 8x30 and carton 10x50 both need a good try out for a few months. There will probably be more in time ..

Will

Well, tenex, no offense but you seem to be one of those who disagrees just for the sake of disagreeing. It adds nothing to the discussion. Also you seem to think I'm stupid, judging by your post. I am aware of "variation". Since my life is too short for this, I'm just gonna put you on ignore. Bye.

Well, tenex, no offense but you seem to be one of those who disagrees just for the sake of disagreeing. It adds nothing to the discussion. Also you seem to think I'm stupid, judging by your post. I am aware of "variation". Since my life is too short for this, I'm just gonna put you on ignore. Bye.
I thought I just said "I agree"? And having brought the subject up, you're showing remarkably little interest in discussing it at all. But never mind, it was off topic anyway.

Last edited:
I'm confused - he agreed with you and merely tried to expand the discussion?

I think I'm pretty close to binocular karma, but I do want to explore the idea of adding a travel scope to my pool of optics.

I spent an afternoon at my favourite optics dealer recently being given what would probably best be described as a lesson on scopes, I have never owned one and I'm a complete novice. I'm still not sure if I'll pull the trigger, but have recently found myself in situations where I perceive I would have benefitted enormously from carrying a scope with me, something I said I would NEVER do...šŸ˜‰

I think I'm pretty close to binocular karma, but I do want to explore the idea of adding a travel scope to my pool of optics.

I spent an afternoon at my favourite optics dealer recently being given what would probably best be described as a lesson on scopes, I have never owned one and I'm a complete novice. I'm still not sure if I'll pull the trigger, but have recently found myself in situations where I perceive I would have benefitted enormously from carrying a scope with me, something I said I would NEVER do...šŸ˜‰
Herman's thread here In praise of small scopes is an excellent place to start. I'm not a fan of carrying a scope but do through necessity.

Will

Nope. I can pretty much see for myself when someone is patronizing and it was not my first run-in with him. Better for all involved when ignoring him, really.
What an absurd and offensive thing to say. Easier for you maybe, since you seem to have enormous resentment (or is defensiveness a better word?) around growing up poor, and binoculars being expensive, it does just keep coming up here, and gets very annoying when you make accusations of "alpha snobbery" or characterize apparently normal conversation as "patronizing" and respond with such rudeness. If the subject is uncomfortable, you should stop bringing it up in a public forum.

Last edited:
Thanks Will, that's terrific, I'll read and digest. šŸ™‚
Well, having read and digested that thread, as well as others (and without wanting to drag this thread off topic, so I will deliberately not quote the instrument in question), I was reassured to read that with my minimal testing and experience, I appear to have landed on the same page as a number of other forum members with vastly more experience than me, although the scope in question gets a fair number of negative comments too. I think my biggest issue with this project will be finding a tripod light enough, compact enough and yet tall enough, for me to want to carry it around. The jury's still out! šŸ˜‰šŸ¤”šŸ™‚

A few more to add to my list:
  • Fujinon IS 14x40
  • Kite IS 16x42
  • Zeiss VP 8x25
  • Pretty much any Maven, but specifically the S.1A spotting scope (although I have absolutely no idea where Iā€™m going to find one to casually test in the UK!)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back