• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Orchid (Noar Hill, Hampshire) (1 Viewer)

kevtubb

I am new to identifying flowers

Can anyone identify the following pictures of what I think is an Orchid at Noar Hill (Hampshire) taken last weekend

I thought it was Common Spotted Orchid but the flowers are plain

In addition, can anyone identify these flowers which were photographed in Alice Holt forest Hampshire (actually some woodland nearby)

Regards
Kevin Tubb

Attachments

• Plant1.jpg
    Plant1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
  • Plant2.jpg
    Plant2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
  • Plant3.jpg
    Plant3.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 14
  • Plant4.jpg
    Plant4.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 11
  • Plant5.jpg
    Plant5.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 11
  • Plant6.jpg
    Plant6.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
  • Plant7.jpg
    Plant7.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
  • Plant8.jpg
    Plant8.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
1-3. Early purple orchid. Note the long blunt-tipped spur.
4, 6. Bugle.
5, 7. White dead-nettle.
8. Ground-ivy.
The best book I know for a beginner of serious intent is Harrap's Wild Flowers.

1-3. Early purple orchid. Note the long blunt-tipped spur.
4, 6. Bugle.
5, 7. White dead-nettle.
8. Ground-ivy.
The best book I know for a beginner of serious intent is Harrap's Wild Flowers.
Thank you so much - my ancient flower book doesn't show spots on the leaves for Early-purple Orchid although the flowers look right in the book - I think that is what confused me

There are things to be gleaned from spots on orchid leaves, but, to be honest, I rarely bother looking at leaves at all.
It sounds like you are in serious need of a flower field guide, and I seriously commend that one I mentioned to you. It's also available as a Kindle edition, so you can keep it ever-handy on your phone.

There are things to be gleaned from spots on orchid leaves, but, to be honest, I rarely bother looking at leaves at all.
It sounds like you are in serious need of a flower field guide, and I seriously commend that one I mentioned to you. It's also available as a Kindle edition, so you can keep it ever-handy on your phone.
Thanks, I will invest in that book you suggest

Regards
Kevin

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back