• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ordnance Survey Maps for Inspiration (1 Viewer)

Steve Jones

As a birder who loves his Ordnance Survey maps, I've found 2 or 3 new places that have turned out to be really good for local patch-watching.
This was further reinforced by an article in Bird-watching mag. by Ian Wallace who advised birders to use these maps to enhance their birdwatching.
I then wondered just how many birders do use these maps to help them find their own bird hotspots, rather than only visiting the local reserves, and what level of satisfaction they felt.
I certainly enjoy the places I've found and get a certain pleasure from finding good birds in 'my own found patch'.

There's a cool new website from the government that many birders will find useful. Go to Magic and select the 'Design my own topic' from the drop-down list. A popup window will give you a load of options - including 'RSPB Reserves', 'Local Nature Reserves', 'Important Bird Areas' and about 60 others. Make your selection from the list and click 'done'. Then enter your desired location.

A scrollable, zoomable, OS map appears with your options coloured. You can get some info on the coloured areas using the i button (top left of map).

Yes too right ... i use them all the time for planning routes round the country lanes and quieter reserves away off the beaten track

And judging by some of the routes i take and the distinct lack of people i see, i guess they're not used all that widely in that way

Cheers for that link H i'll have a closer look at it later

Last edited:
i'm sorry to bring it into every conversation(it seems) but it is relevant. Before I bought my house in Turkey I got a map, found a resort on a coastal extremity (presumably therefore migrants within walking distance),with an estuary within cycling distance and a big lake within easy driving distance. I then said to my wife, we'll buy there. The birds are at least as good as I hoped for.

I've always loved maps, and I remember that article by Ian Wallace, inspirational. A couple of days ago, I was thinking about my local patch, which has a stream going through it, but no easily accessible ponds, and I was thinking I must get the maps out to see if there are any ponds nearby that I could detour to. I'm pleased to see this thread because it's reminded me to do just that, and see if I can find any different birds. Thanks.

Currently I own almost 100 different o/s maps so you can see that I am a big fan of them. They have certainly helped me find a few nice areas.

I am off to Norfolk & Suffolk this weekend and will take with me about 8 or 9 different maps with me.

Whenever I go out I always take not only the relevant map to the areas I go in but also any maps for surrounding areas and perhaps maps for the areas I drive through to get to my final destination.

Thanks also to Hollis for that link. I will give it a good look over.

hollis_f said:
There's a cool new website from the government that many birders will find useful. Go to Magic and select the 'Design my own topic' from the drop-down list. A popup window will give you a load of options - including 'RSPB Reserves', 'Local Nature Reserves', 'Important Bird Areas' and about 60 others. Make your selection from the list and click 'done'. Then enter your desired location.

A scrollable, zoomable, OS map appears with your options coloured. You can get some info on the coloured areas using the i button (top left of map).
What a fantastic website. Thanks very much for posting this, hollis. :t:

hollis_f said:

Could you please give me the actual web address for this site,it sounds most interesting.
Many Thanks
POP

Anyone who likes looking at O.S maps might want to check out www.highinthesky.com. They sell a PC CD Rom for most counties which is basically a seamless potrait from aerial photographs taken I beleive around the millenium. Recently got the one for Devon for around £ 12. As you zoom into different areas i would guess you lose clarity at around 1500 metres but above that it is very clear. It is very interesting looking at the headlands and estuaries. Wether it is close up enough to give clues as to good birding spots away from obvious headlands etc might be debatable but it is very interesting none the less.

Perry

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back