• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Organising Pictures (1 Viewer)

GiGi

I guess this thread may have been exhausted at sometime, perhaps I haven't used right search words, not enjoyed any results from my search

However I would like to ask what software do people use for organising there pictures. what software is recommended?

Thanks

Georgina

When I can remember, Excel
Cell A1 = date in yy-mm-dd format
Cell B1 = Photo number
Cell C1 = subject
Cell D1 = Location

To get the basic info into excell

goto DOS prompt

Dir /s > c:\pics.txt

puts the output into a text file call pics in the root of C.

Import the resulting text file into excel and do a bit of pasting of directory names.

HTH

Last edited:
Picasa is a very popular freeware package (created by Google). You can do a search on it and get a bunch of hits on this forum, and also on the web.

Also version 3 and 4 of Photoshop Elements has a good organizer. Corel has a nice organizer (Photo Album).

I'm not crazy about any of them, because they kind of lock you into their system - i.e. if you laboriousbly type your keywords into say Picasa, and later decide to switch to something else, it might be hard to import all that info into the other product. From what I've read, none of the current products store their info inside the image files (by using the IPTC and other areas), but instead use their own proprietary database.

I use ACDSEE album software. I love it but it's about $50.00.
My sisters use Picassa and it's ok for free software.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back