• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Osprey's in Burgundy (1 Viewer)

Hi

I am very new to birding and am yet to buy a decent camera or a pair of binoculars. I have however been trying to use the bird ID app to try and see what might be out there.

This morning as well as the regular visitors to my garden like swifts, magpie, jackdaw, sparrow, linnet, goldfinch etc the app recorded osprey.
I thought this is really un likely I have been here for a month and this is the first osprey that its recorded. So I check in the "Birds of France" book and it says "Summer migrant....Corsica and noth-central France". I'm in the cote d'or (21) so at the top of Burgundy and the bottom of Champagne. In in a small town thats in the middle of a farming area. Is it likely that Osprey's would visit this type of location?

Alex

Hi

I am very new to birding and am yet to buy a decent camera or a pair of binoculars. I have however been trying to use the bird ID app to try and see what might be out there.

This morning as well as the regular visitors to my garden like swifts, magpie, jackdaw, sparrow, linnet, goldfinch etc the app recorded osprey.
I thought this is really un likely I have been here for a month and this is the first osprey that its recorded. So I check in the "Birds of France" book and it says "Summer migrant....Corsica and noth-central France". I'm in the cote d'or (21) so at the top of Burgundy and the bottom of Champagne. In in a small town thats in the middle of a farming area. Is it likely that Osprey's would visit this type of location?

Alex
You can’t rely 100% on an app. Merlin, for example, seems to have difficulty separating contact calls of Chiffchaff and Redstart.

David

It's quite possible that an Osprey would fly over your property at some point (much less likely to come closer though, unless there was a large body of water on it), but you'd have to look for yourself to be sure (and ideally get a picture if you want proof). As said above, algorithms sometimes do funny things and background patterns can trick them into rather strange misidentifications.

I had relatively distant Oystercatcher calls ID'd by Merlin recently as Osprey (at a site where we do get Ospreys - and I did get one shortly after, but calls on recording are Oystercatcher). As others have said, you can't trust Merlin completely - it relies on 6 second snippets of 'song' for its IDs. There is a video online which pitched Merlin against an experienced birder to see which was more accurate. The birder 'won'. Bird ID Trivia: Merlin vs Birders | Bird Academy • The Cornell Lab

did the App also mention starling... they can give raptor calls but usually much weaker sounding (e.g. common buzzard , Red kite) .. that could be another idea...

...allthough I agree merlin misinterpreting something sounds more likely...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back