• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Other NM birders? (1 Viewer)

Sandia Birder I am no longer based in NM but if you are looking to find tricky species you are welcome to PM me and I will try to help. If you are looking to hook up with local birders you probably want to join the Rio Grande nature center and the NM Audubon society.

I might have the chance to go to NM eventually, which is really something I am looking to do if the opportunity presents itself - since it'd be quite valuable for me: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=228532

If either of you know any hotspots regarding that in NM, I'd very much appreciate all the information you can give me :t:

Last edited:
Yep, just moved here last fall (Minnesota native). And actually I picked up birding upon arriving in New Mexico--after hearing about how this is a great state for a large variety of different bird species, I figured I should see what the fuss was about ;)

I really appreciate the Rio Grande Nature Center in Albuquerque and Bosque del Apache. While the Bosque has an overwhelming number of birds each time I visit, I enjoy absorbing all sorts of birding knowledge and advice from the friendly birding veterans at RGNC, so both locations have their merits.

Are there any other bird locations in the state that are well worth visiting?

Places You MUST Bird in NM!

Yep, just moved here last fall (Minnesota native). And actually I picked up birding upon arriving in New Mexico--after hearing about how this is a great state for a large variety of different bird species, I figured I should see what the fuss was about ;)

I really appreciate the Rio Grande Nature Center in Albuquerque and Bosque del Apache. While the Bosque has an overwhelming number of birds each time I visit, I enjoy absorbing all sorts of birding knowledge and advice from the friendly birding veterans at RGNC, so both locations have their merits.

Are there any other bird locations in the state that are well worth visiting?

NM is a wonderful state for birders. I assume from your post that you are in the Ab'q area. Let me suggest a few spots that are worth a day's drive, though.

First, Rattlesnake Springs at Carlsbad Caverns NP. This is becoming, truly, a national "hot spot." See:

http://ebird.org/ebird/GuideMe?step...&hotspots=L128933&continue.x=48&continue.y=13

Second, the SW corner of the state, Hidalgo County, is an amzing place for Mexican rarities and hummingbirds. One example:

http://ebird.org/ebird/GuideMe?step...&hotspots=L281289&continue.x=49&continue.y=15

Plus, from Hidalgo County, it's a short trip into SE AZ (the Chiricahua Mts.), which is stunning for birding.

Thanks for the tips! Carlsbad is quite the drive from the Albuquerque area, but it sounds like it would be worth it.

Also, what means do New Mexicans use to communicate bird findings (rare and otherwise)? Is there a primary listserv in use?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back