• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cancun in September (1 Viewer)

Goat2

Okay I’m only a birder as a part of being an overall “naturalist” rather than looking for “lifer records”.
We are heading to Mexico for the first time in Sept and wonder if the Sibley guide to Western North America will suffice for the majority of birds I’m likely to spot?
If not what is the recommended Mexico equivalent please?

Okay I’m only a birder as a part of being an overall “naturalist” rather than looking for “lifer records”.
We are heading to Mexico for the first time in Sept and wonder if the Sibley guide to Western North America will suffice for the majority of birds I’m likely to spot?
I was in Mexico last year for the first time and used "Birds of Mexico and Central America" by Ber van Perlo. It's a good book and pretty small for that many birds, so you can also take it with you in the field. The drawings aren't always the best, but all in all it's pretty good. I used it in combination with the Merlin App, there you can download "bird packs" by region, so in your case e.g. "Mexico: Yucatan Peninsula".
I can also recommend the book "Travellers' Wildlife Guide to Southern Mexico" by Les Beletsky. It also covers other animal groups (mammals, reptiles, amphibians, ...) and also a little geography, plants, climate, natural reserves, ecotourism, conservation, ... .

Last edited:
I was in Mexico last year for the first time and used "Birds of Mexico and Central America" by Ber van Perlo. It's a good book and pretty small for so many birds, so you can also take it with you in the field. The drawings aren't always the best, but all in all it's pretty good. I used it in combination with the Merlin App, there you can download the "bird packs" by region, so in your case e.g. "Mexico: Yucatan Peninsula".
I can also recommend the book "Travellers' Wildlife Guide to Southern Mexico" by Les Beletsky. It also covers other animal groups (mammals, reptiles, amphibians, ...) and also a little geography, plants, climate, natural reserves, ecotourism, conservation, ... .
Many thanks will have a hunt round Waterstones and then the Net

If you combine your Sibley with the free Merlin app with Mexico's birds downloaded, it is certainly enough.

(I actually used the Merlin app more than the "Birds of Mexico and Central America" that I also had with me)
I think I also used Merlin more and a lot of times it was easier to identify the birds with the app, but I also really loved the combination of this book and the app.

Regarding field guide for Yucatan, this was discussed recently in this thread, starting from post #137 and at least the next 10 posts:
Niels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back