• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Over-Wintering Chiffchaff/Goldcrest on my feeder (1 Viewer)

Andy Bright

Administrator
Staff member
England
Two surprises today in the garden. A Chiffchaff loitered around the garden for 20 minutes or so. No song but had the air of a Chiffchaff and you don't get over-wintering Willow Warblers! Did look slightly greener than the average summer bird, maybe seeing it against the drab colours of winter made it look a fraction more vivid?
Other surprise was the Goldcrest pecking away at the insect/fat cake throughout the day..... The makers had said that Goldcrests may take an interest in it, but it's taken 5 years! Blackcaps found it irresistable about a day after putting one up all that time ago.

No Bramblings as yet, a few Siskins today but they're certainly not as abundant as last years spectacular garden invasion. Goldfinch numbers peaked at 34..... quite a bit down on previous years at this time.

Three G-S Woodpeckers in the garden at the same time last Friday! Two females and one male, not exactly getting on with eachother but some sort of resigned toleration.

Andy B

You are getting a more interesting selection in the garden than me at the moment. I agree that things have been a lot quieter in the garden so far this Winter which I suspect is due to it having been so mild.

I agree with you IanF, it seems quieter with me too compared to other years. I worry that there are just less farmland birds due to all the well puplished difficulties they are facing. I hope you are right and it is due to the mild weather.
There is normally a small colony of house sparrows but even they are missing.
Andy, you have an interesting variety of birds visiting your patch and so many goldfinches. Amazing.
I do see little goldcrests here but never on the feeders.

No sign of the Chiffchaff today.... then again, we had a Sparrowhawk patrolling regularly.
Blackcaps are far less numerous than last year, when we had a total of 11 at one time (those apples).

Alway have plenty of Goldcrests around (lots of conifers).... I'm young enough to still be able to hear them, one year they'll no longer be audible to me.... hopefully a few years yet, then I'll curse all that rock music through headphones!
Andy B

The Blackcaps were in my Watford garden.... though I have seen two Blackcaps around Arlesey this winter.

Big plans afoot for the Blue Lagoon.... local council/developers testing out the residents on various proposals.... none look that great (birdwise)! Obviously the recent deaths have made them wonder about it's current state.
Regards,
Andy B

About time they wondered. I fished there on and off for 2 years and to say it is dodgy is an understatement and a half. Given up with it now but did manage to see a few good tweets there over those years.

Hey Andy you got some birds in your yard! I love the name ChiffChaff... what no picture? tsk tsk....
You know we have a serious downgrade in the numbers of siskins here as well.Warmest winter in years and the driest... that may have something to do with our numbers.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back