• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owl identification (1 Viewer)

Sandie Craig

Hi there,

Today I saw an owl sleeping in a ruined barn window in the sun (no camera - typical) I thought at first it was a long-eared owl but it was too big - It filled the whole window and wasn't marked like a tawny owl - it had 'ear flaps' - it was huge - about up to an average female knee (I'm 5'2") - could it possibly have been an Eagle Owl - I live in Alston on the Cumbria/Northuimberland border -

Hi there,

Today I saw an owl sleeping in a ruined barn window in the sun (no camera - typical) I thought at first it was a long-eared owl but it was too big - It filled the whole window and wasn't marked like a tawny owl - it had 'ear flaps' - it was huge - about up to an average female knee (I'm 5'2") - could it possibly have been an Eagle Owl - I live in Alston on the Cumbria/Northuimberland border -

Hi sounds about right Sandie
theres only one way to be sure, go back with camera, but keep the location to yourself - its likely to disappear one way or the other, if word gets out :t:
cheers
Steve

Morning Steve,

Thanks - so excited - went back later yesterday with the camera - it was gone (of course) - checked the inside of the barn but no sign of nest etc. - I wasn't sure if there could be a solitary/pair this far over - I most certainly will tell no-one as the farmers up here are trigger happy at the best of times - pheasants-shooters - so privileged to have seen it and SO annoyed at forgetting the camera.....have a great day

Sandie

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back