• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panama - Bocas del Toro: Dusky-capped Flycatcher? (1 Viewer)

Mario-F

Dear all,

I saw this bird on the 12th of August 2018 at the Red Frog Beach (Isla Bastimentos, Bocas del Toro, Panama).

Am I right that this is a Dusky-capped Flycatcher? I´m a little confused about the lack of rufous in the wings...

Thanks in advance!
Mario

Attachments

• DSC08698 Dusky-capped Flycatcher_12-08-18_Bocas del Toro Isla Bastimentos Red Frog Beach Panama.jpg
    DSC08698 Dusky-capped Flycatcher_12-08-18_Bocas del Toro Isla Bastimentos Red Frog Beach Panama.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC08700 Dusky-capped Flycatcher_12-08-18_Bocas del Toro Isla Bastimentos Red Frog Beach Panama.jpg
    DSC08700 Dusky-capped Flycatcher_12-08-18_Bocas del Toro Isla Bastimentos Red Frog Beach Panama.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 23
Dear all,

I saw this bird on the 12th of August 2018 at the Red Frog Beach (Isla Bastimentos, Bocas del Toro, Panama).

Am I right that this is a Dusky-capped Flycatcher? I´m a little confused about the lack of rufous in the wings...

Thanks in advance!
Mario

Looks good: although the location is not the same, the following comment is probably relevant: "Birds from east PA lack rufous on wings and tail (but all imms show some cinnamon on wings)" (Vallely & Dyer)

Looks good: although the location is not the same, the following comment is probably relevant: "Birds from east PA lack rufous on wings and tail (but all imms show some cinnamon on wings)" (Vallely & Dyer)

Something similar is mentioned in the older Ridgely and Gwynne Field guide; they put the limit at Veraguas, east of there the rufous is missing.

Niels

Thank you both for your replies and the informations!
Then I think my bird didn´t read the books, because Bocas del Toro is west of Veraguas...;)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back