• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panama, Isla Coiba-Santa Catalina region (1 Viewer)

ushi

Please assist with the ID of both species.
Thank you

Attachments

• panama (249).JPG
    panama (249).JPG
    3 MB · Views: 52
  • panama (254).JPG
    panama (254).JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 52
I don't know what else to say but Panama Flycatcher.
Either that or Great Crested F. I feel I see a hint of rufous in the tail - but for GCFL it really should be obvious from this angle. PaFl should not have any, but given what I see this seems the more likely one?
Niels

Either that or Great Crested F. I feel I see a hint of rufous in the tail - but for GCFL it really should be obvious from this angle. PaFl should not have any, but given what I see this seems the more likely one?
Niels
Yes, I noticed a little rufous, but I would think it should be more apparent, and in the wings too. Just thought maybe we could give a more definitive answer. Maybe not? Thanks, Niels.

I would expect to see an obvious bright rump at this angle for a Bright-rumped Attila. I admit I haven't seen them at every angle, but the rump really stands out. I would also expect to see a bigger, 'bull headed' look with some streaking and even an eyeline, the missing big red eye could be because it's young. I think we would see more brown and not this grey-green on the mantle. It's possible I'm wrong with my ID, but I don't think a Bright-rumped Attila is a better choice. Just my opinion, and maybe I'm not seeing things properly. I also don't think the bill is big enough for Attila and I don't think the hook at the tip is too much for a Panama Flycatcher. Well, it's 3 am here and maybe I'm too tired to comment!;)
Just looked up The Panama in my Ridgley's and it does say immature Panama shows some rufous edging on wings and tail. Personally, I have to stick with Panama.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back