• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic FZ1000 Review... (8 Viewers)

Cropped video footage

I recorded some hand held 4K video of a Treecreeper the other day on the FZ1000.

The youtube link below is a very short clip of the original 4K video down sampled to 1080p.
The video on the left is the original X16 optical footage, the image on the right is the same footage cropped in with Powerdirector editing software. The quality of the zoomed in video still looks quite good. The footage also demonstrates the camera's ability to record birdsong with the camera's internal mic.

The short video can be repeated by clicking on the replay symbol on the left side of the player. The quality can also be adjusted to 1080p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuSu3wPipUE

Last edited:
I recorded some hand held 4K video of a Treecreeper the other day on the FZ1000.

The youtube link below is a very short clip of the original 4K video down sampled to 1080p.
The video on the left is the original X16 optical footage, the image on the right is the same footage cropped in with Powerdirector editing software. The quality of the zoomed in video still looks quite good. The footage also demonstrates the camera's ability to record birdsong with the camera's internal mic.

The short video can be repeated by clicking on the replay symbol on the left side of the player. The quality can also be adjusted to 1080p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuSu3wPipUE

The video footage looked great and as you say, even the cropped version looked good. Plus I could hear the call, so that's another bonus.

Over the moon with my FZ1000, however there are a couple of issues that I have at present. The camera can be turned on and focused on terrestial subject matter within 4 seconds, but this lightening response can be offset, when attempting to shoot any well lit subject matter against the sky. More often than not showing nothing in the viewfinder for several seconds (even though...you know the subject (bird) is in the frame, then appearing before disappearing again, before eventually focusing...OP error/malfunction or par for the course?

My second issue is only being able to access 122 out of my 262 files, with it jamming on 122! Only being able to re-activate the camera after I've released the battery before re-inserting. Although the red warning light shows when shooting, it's still writing the images going forward. When I run the SD card through the lap top, I can then access the files, however screen prints from the desired grab frames are somewhat degenerated, and don't compare to the "in camera" grabs which are more often than not...better than single shots in my opinion.
Also when viewing the 4K "film clips" on my computer, the film "stutters", not running smoothly as "in camera", I've been advised that I need to change the codecs on my computer, is this a straightforward process, or might I be advised to seek professional help, as I'm mostly technically challenged?
Cheers

The jamming at 122 sounds like an issue with your memory card. I would empty it out completely and then reformat in camera; if that does not help, then a new card might be in order (check warranty on the old one).

Niels

The jamming at 122 sounds like an issue with your memory card. I would empty it out completely and then reformat in camera; if that does not help, then a new card might be in order (check warranty on the old one).

Niels

Thanks Niels, that would be the act of last resort :-C presumably there would be no way of retrieving the ''jammed'' files, as there were some that I would prefer not to lose?

Cheers

Perhaps you can copy everything to the PC, do your reformat, and copy those back to the camera that you need to access? if there are problems in the stage of reading by the PC, there are those programs (one came for free with one of my memory cards) that are intended for retrieving photos from a formatted memory card that might help you get the last few images.

Perhaps you can copy everything to the PC, do your reformat, and copy those back to the camera that you need to access? if there are problems in the stage of reading by the PC, there are those programs (one came for free with one of my memory cards) that are intended for retrieving photos from a formatted memory card that might help you get the last few images.

Many thanks Niels..I will endeavour to attempt this, as it seems logical, that this might resolve the matter. :t:

Many thanks Niels..I will endeavour to attempt this, as it seems logical, that this might resolve the matter. :t:

If you do this, which sounds quite a logical thing to do, just make sure that before you transfer them back to the camera you take one photo (can be of the floor, it doesn't matter, just take a shot of anything). The reason for that is it creates a folder on the SD card where you drop the files from the computer. If there are no photos on the card that folder disappears and you need to get it back in order for you to place the files in the correct spot.

If you do this, which sounds quite a logical thing to do, just make sure that before you transfer them back to the camera you take one photo (can be of the floor, it doesn't matter, just take a shot of anything). The reason for that is it creates a folder on the SD card where you drop the files from the computer. If there are no photos on the card that folder disappears and you need to get it back in order for you to place the files in the correct spot.

Cheers scodgerott :t:

Fast card !

You need to use the fastest cards to avail yourself of the advantages of 4K, KenM.

That may be what's causing you to stutter.

Alternatively, one of my friends has had to have his new 1000 exchanged, as it was faulty and 'set itself' to f0.0 !

This may be of help wrt 4K on computers.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/what-hardware-do-you-need-to-run-stuff-at-4k-resolution-on-your-pc/

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/4k-monitor-buying-guide-why-get-4k-4k-pcs-4k-laptops-4k-monitors-how-why-buy/

http://4k.com/news/kind-hardware-pc-really-need-4k-resolution/

I havn't attempted 4k myself, but I have ended up running a 16 gig quad processor computer with 24 inch screen for editing my HD. When HD first emerged there were programs that you could run to test if your hardware was up to just viewing it.

Thanks Niels, that would be the act of last resort :-C presumably there would be no way of retrieving the ''jammed'' files, as there were some that I would prefer not to lose?

Cheers

Ken, before you do anything with your present SD card, why not simply get a new one and see whether things work there without problems. That will take the pressure off from dealing with your present card and thus helps keeping your head clear.

Robert, my proposal to firstly make sure there is a copy of every picture on a computer hopefully would have some of the same effect: allow a cool head ;)

Niels

Thanks Guys for your input with my respective issues. I've solved the jamming! I contacted Panasonic and they informed me that there have been a number of ''updates'' since my purchase in Oct.'14. A link was provided, which allowed me to download software onto my SD card (in the computer), and hey presto...bloody magic! the ''jammed'' files...were no more. :t:

Am finding the video grabs awesome....as always the closer the better! Cheers

Attachments

• P1090133 (2) A Grn.Woodpckr. flight 10..jpg
    P1090133 (2) A Grn.Woodpckr. flight 10..jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 523
  • P1090147 (2) A Grn.Woodpckr. flight 2..jpg
    P1090147 (2) A Grn.Woodpckr. flight 2..jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 485
  • P1090140 (2) A Grn.Woodpckr. flight 2..jpg
    P1090140 (2) A Grn.Woodpckr. flight 2..jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 603
Ken, before you do anything with your present SD card, why not simply get a new one and see whether things work there without problems. That will take the pressure off from dealing with your present card and thus helps keeping your head clear.

Robert apologies!...I've only just noted your PS from your last Post.

It's an Acorn Woodpecker.

Cheers

anniversary approaching

It's close to a year now that the FZ1000 was first announced. And with Panasonic this might mean that its successor might already be just around the corner. So what would be on the wish list?

I think the larger sensor has definitely proved its worth from what I have seen. Would a longer reach tele be possible without further enlargement of the camera body?

I think the larger sensor has definitely proved its worth from what I have seen. Would a longer reach tele be possible without further enlargement of the camera body?

I would expect greater reach with same sensor to come at the cost of greater weight.

I would expect that if a new version comes out it will have the same sensor but tweaks to processing allowing even better high iso shots (this part is conjecture, I do not know how good the process is at the moment).

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back