• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic FZ150 (15 Viewers)

I am expecting my FZ150 to arrive today & as I read through the manual, I see that I might be able to add a Lens adapter (DMW-LA5) & a Tele Conversion Lens (DMW-LT55), to get even closer to my feathered friends.

How do folks here feel about these extensions?

Are they really worth all the extra expense involved?

Cheers,
Dick

Hi Dick
I only use my FZ150 with the 1.7 teleconverter attached and would wholeheartedly recommend it. Sometimes, it's useful to up the ISO to increase the shutter speed to ensure sharp shots (due to the long focal length/stabilisation aspect), but generally, I'd say it's an excellent and very useful addition. For me, worth every penny.
Hobbes

Hi Dick
I only use my FZ150 with the 1.7 teleconverter attached and would wholeheartedly recommend it. Sometimes, it's useful to up the ISO to increase the shutter speed to ensure sharp shots (due to the long focal length/stabilisation aspect), but generally, I'd say it's an excellent and very useful addition. For me, worth every penny.
Hobbes

Thanks Hobbes, that's good enough for me, especially as I'll be using my 150 for Birds, most of the time. ...... on it's way! |;|

By the way, any thoughts on the Close Up Lens?
It doesn't get a very good review on Amazon.
Perhaps the Macro setting on the 150 is good enough for close up, detailed shots?

Cheers,
Dick

If you look further up this page, you will see some of my "insect" shots, which were all taken without a close-up lens. However, you can get beautiful shallow depth of field shots with a macro lens. I haven't used one, but I believe from what I have read elsewhere that the Raynox DCR150 is one of the better ones available. There is a stronger one, but you have to get really close to the subject and that can be difficult for a number of reasons.

Last edited:
It arrived ... & it works! :t:

Mind you, I kind of expected it to come with a card & as the built in memory fills up so quickly, I need to get a card soon.

Any tips on which card I should go for?

Cheers,
Dick

Attachments

• P150.2.JPG
    P150.2.JPG
    210.1 KB · Views: 126
  • P.150.5.JPG
    P.150.5.JPG
    205.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
That Goldfinch shot came out really well. Shades of things to come. I use a Sandisk 16gb card (Class6) card. I have two of them and they seem to work well.

That Goldfinch shot came out really well. Shades of things to come. I use a Sandisk 16gb card (Class6) card. I have two of them and they seem to work well.

Added another of a Magpie on my garden wall ... strutting his Funky Stuff! |=)|

Cheers,
Dick

I called into Argos today & bought one of these ~ SanDisk SDHC Card 16GB

However, I haven't opened it yet, as it looks much narrower than the camera's card compartment & there is no mention of the words - Class 6 on the packaging, at all. :stuck:

How do I know what is the right Card for my Camera?

Cheers,
Dick

I called into Argos today & bought one of these ~ SanDisk SDHC Card 16GB

However, I haven't opened it yet, as it looks much narrower than the camera's card compartment & there is no mention of the words - Class 6 on the packaging, at all. :stuck:

How do I know what is the right Card for my Camera?

Cheers,
Dick

Hi Dick, It will fit and work OK. Looking at the picture on the link you supplied that card is a class 2,this means it is not as fast as a class 6. Most of the time you will not notice the difference.

Thanks guys, I'll see if I can swop it tomorrow.

If not, I'll just hang on to it for Photos & get myself a class 6 for videos.

By the way, I'm pleased to see that it takes quite nice close ups, too.

Cheers,
Dick

Attachments

• P.150.8.jpg
    P.150.8.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 107
Hi Dick, Yes that is a class 2 card. Panasonic recommend a minimum of Class4 for the FZ150. As Niels said it might be OK for still images, but not so good for video. It might also take longer to process bursts of shots.

Hi Dick, Yes that is a class 2 card. Panasonic recommend a minimum of Class4 for the FZ150. As Niels said it might be OK for still images, but not so good for video. It might also take longer to process bursts of shots.

Thanks. Just hope they'll exchange it now. :stuck:

Cheers,
Dick

On closer inspection, I saw that this SanDisk 16GB SDHC Card actually has a number 4 on it, inside the letter C.

So I took it out & tried it in the card slot, but it is very, very tight & feels like if I force it all the way in, I might not be able to get it out again! |8.|

Surely these cards should slide in & out easily?

So if the SanDisk isn't the right card for the FZ150, then what is the recommended Card?

Cheers,
Dick

Sandisk is usually a good producer of cards. Did you try to turn the card around?

Some brands are more likely to suffer from imitation than others -- Sandisk as a well known brand is probably more susceptible than others to that. I would have expected even a poor imitator to get the plastic right (internal parts might be more likely to be bad ...)

Niels

Sandisk is usually a good producer of cards. Did you try to turn the card around?
Niels

In my defence, I was trying to install it EXACTLY as shown in the manual's diagram, but when I turned it around, of course it slipped in a treat! ... Duh! :brains:

Great, now I don't have that 15 shot limit to worry about.

Thanks Neils.

Yesterday afternoon, I left the comfort zone of my back garden & headed off to coastal dunes & managed to get a couple of fairly reasonable shots, but I'm quickly learning that I'll need to develop a whole new wardrobe of skills, to get the hang of getting close enough to these guys, for any chance of a half decent photo, with the gear I have.

By the way, my Tele Conversion Lens (DMW-LT55) arrived yesterday, so I'm just waiting for the Lens adapter (DMW-LA5) to arrive, sometime today I hope, then I'll really be fit to get stuck in .... at least I will, as soon as my tripod arrives! ;)

Cheers,
Dick

Attachments

• P.150.xl.sedge.runkerry..JPG
    P.150.xl.sedge.runkerry..JPG
    277.9 KB · Views: 130
  • P.150.linnet.runkerry.JPG
    P.150.linnet.runkerry.JPG
    263.7 KB · Views: 153
With that Card installed, I was finally able to try out the Burst Mode Button.

After taking about 400 shots of lots of birds, swinging about in my feeder tree, being wildly blown about by heavy winds, I was about to pack up, when this little Redpoll, obligingly dropped to the ground nearby.

Cheers,
Dick

Attachments

• P.150.MINIREDP.JPG
    P.150.MINIREDP.JPG
    275.4 KB · Views: 152
Following Dick's enquiry about bags for the FZ150 with 1.7 teleconverter attached, I thought the easiest thing to do was to post a reply to this question here.

After a lot of research, I bought the Lowepro Toploader Zoom 55AW (http://products.lowepro.com/product/Toploader-Zoom-55-AW,2205,8.htm). Amazon.co.uk are selling it for ~£30 at the moment (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00365C784/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00). It's length is perfect - fits the camera with teleconveter attached. It's width is a slightly on the large side but I modified mine by adding some foam either side to hold the camera snug inside. You could use old camera bag dividers to achieve this. Alternatively, it is fine without modification.

Hope that helps
Hobbes

Well, I have succumbed ;). Just taken delivery of my new FZ150 and adapter so that I can effectively use it as a super-long lens with my 1.7x teleconverter. I really like my G3 with 100-300mm lens but for shots of distant birds, it fails. I needed the extra reach. The battery is charging and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

One question, has anyone got any suggestions for the most compact/lightest bag for carrying the FZ150 with 1.7x converter attached, please? So far, the Lowepro Nova 180 AW or 190 AW (http://products.lowepro.com/product/Nova-180-AW,2105,20.htm or http://products.lowepro.com/product/Nova-190-AW,2106,20.htm) may do the trick or the Lowepro Stealth Reporter D100 AW (http://products.lowepro.com/product/Stealth-Reporter D100 AW,2044.htm), although that is a little on the heavy side.

Many thanks
Hobbes

Following Dick's enquiry about bags for the FZ150 with 1.7 teleconverter attached, I thought the easiest thing to do was to post a reply to this question here.

After a lot of research, I bought the Lowepro Toploader Zoom 55AW (http://products.lowepro.com/product/Toploader-Zoom-55-AW,2205,8.htm). Amazon.co.uk are selling it for ~£30 at the moment (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00365C784/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00). It's length is perfect - fits the camera with teleconveter attached. It's width is a slightly on the large side but I modified mine by adding some foam either side to hold the camera snug inside. You could use old camera bag dividers to achieve this. Alternatively, it is fine without modification.

Hope that helps
Hobbes

Excellent, that looks like just the ticket & I like the vertical aspect, which I think might just prove to be more comfortable to carry, on long walks ... thanks Hobbes.

.... It's on its way! ;)

Cheers,
Dick

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back