• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic G9 (1 Viewer)

Irvo52

Scotland
When I replay images using the EVF the photos look really sharp. When transferred to pc they're not so good. All jpegs. Any explanations?

When I replay images using the EVF the photos look really sharp. When transferred to pc they're not so good. All jpegs. Any explanations?
In order to display the image in the EVF it is likely that the image needs to have reduced pixel count. It is likely that the software in the camera adds sharpening to the image while doing that.

Do you use any post-processing software on your images? If you do, you should be able to add further sharpening and or contrast/vibrancy on your PC. If you do not, then you may have to tweak the settings for contrast/sharpening/picture settings (normal/vivid, etc) in camera to where it suits you better.

I use a G85 and find that for low iso images, out of camera jpgs are close to what I want (default camera settings), but for higher iso images, I like the result better when starting from a RAW image (and the time commitment is roughly the same). I use ACDSee for postprocessing.

Niels

In order to display the image in the EVF it is likely that the image needs to have reduced pixel count. It is likely that the software in the camera adds sharpening to the image while doing that.

Do you use any post-processing software on your images? If you do, you should be able to add further sharpening and or contrast/vibrancy on your PC. If you do not, then you may have to tweak the settings for contrast/sharpening/picture settings (normal/vivid, etc) in camera to where it suits you better.

I use a G85 and find that for low iso images, out of camera jpgs are close to what I want (default camera settings), but for higher iso images, I like the result better when starting from a RAW image (and the time commitment is roughly the same). I use ACDSee for postprocessing.

Niels
I don't use post-processing. It may be that I need to use AFC as the birds I was shooting were swimming quite quickly and the camera might have struggled with the movement.

I don't use post-processing. It may be that I need to use AFC as the birds I was shooting were swimming quite quickly and the camera might have struggled with the movement.
could be that or it could be other aspects of your shooting. What settings did you use: shutter speed, which lens at which zoom?
niels

There is an element of looking at the image zoomed out when viewing it through an evf, and when on a screen they will then be full size, i.e. pixels spread out over a larger area. The image will look sharper on the screen if you zoom out to make it smaller than the screen size. Not sure if this is the phenomenon you are experiencing?

could be that or it could be other aspects of your shooting. What settings did you use: shutter speed, which lens at which zoom?
niels
100-400mm lens. First time I've used it! Regardless of settings, etc, I'm puzzled about the sharpness of the replayed images on the EVF compared to the slightly "off" images when played back on pc from the cf card, I know that I have a learning curve regarding the use of the rig in the field, dialling in different settings for static, paddling and flying birds, I'm ready to experiment until I get things right. However, that difference in images interests me. How does that happen?

My attempt at an explanation is in post #3 and Essex Tern did something in Post #9.

As an experiment: when viewing the image in the PC, zoom out so it only covers 1/4 of the available space. Does it look sharper?

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back