• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic GF1...lens (1 Viewer)

Robin Harrison

Hi everyone. I've just joined and here is my intro....http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=160424st

I've read the long and informative thread on the Panasonic G1 a couple of times and have extracted as much info as I can. I wonder if anyone could make a few comments for me.
I want a smaller camera both for general photography and digiscoping.....(I've got a full sized DSLR).....I also want a movie facility. So although the GF1 does not have a useful articulating screen, it seems like a pretty good camera for both.
However the lenses.....the 14-140 again seems like a good all purpose general single lens but expensive. Is it OK with a scope ?
Or would it be better to get a 20mm f/1.7 pancake AND a 45-200 mm zoom. Getting the kit 20mm plus the 45-200 would be cheaper I think than the body and the 14-140.
Which would be the ideal digiscoping lens with the GF1 ?
Any help will be appreciated.
Regards
Robin

Robin,
Welcome to wonderful, frustrating world of digiscoping. The fixed,short primes or short zooms (14-45 mm ) are best. The 20/1.7 mm lens is a good digiscoping choice.
Neil

Robin,
Welcome to wonderful, frustrating world of digiscoping. The fixed,short primes or short zooms (14-45 mm ) are best. The 20/1.7 mm lens is a good digiscoping choice.
Neil

Thanks for the welcome,Neil and the lens confirmation.
Robin
(it would seem from reading the long thread again that the Panasonic Lumix GF1 is still too new for very much evaluation ,as yet.)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back