• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pantanal Info (1 Viewer)

motmot123

I am going to the Pantanal area with Victor Emanuel Nature Tours this coming August and I was wondering what to expect down there. I am also wondering if the field guide to Brazil will be finished and on the market before I head out there. I have been trying to research on the area and I have not found out all that much.

I am going to the Pantanal area with Victor Emanuel Nature Tours this coming August and I was wondering what to expect down there. I am also wondering if the field guide to Brazil will be finished and on the market before I head out there. I have been trying to research on the area and I have not found out all that much.

Hi, If you let me know wich areas you will be visiting I can send you a list. I also recommend that you purchase "Birds of Southern South America and Antartica" and Birds of South America - Non Oscines ( Rheas to Woodpeckers ).

These books will cover most of what you may see during the trip.

If you need any more information feel free to contact me in private I live in Cuiaba and I know most of the birds in the area.

I am going to the Pantanal area with Victor Emanuel Nature Tours this coming August and I was wondering what to expect down there.

Could you specify that question? I've just checked Victor Emanuel Nature Tours' site, and it has both species-lists and descriptions of the various tours for free download.

I am also wondering if the field guide to Brazil will be finished and on the market before I head out there.

There are currently several field guides in preparation for Brazil or parts of Brazil. Regardless, it unfortunately doesn't matter which one you're thinking about, as none of them will be ready for August. As you're going on a VENT tour (= highly professional guides), Souza's All the Birds of Brazil - while not particularly good - should be fine and is likely to be the book your fellow tour participants will bring, too. If wanting a guide where the chance of doing the ID's yourself is larger, I'd suggest B. Dubs' Birds of Southwestern Brazil. It is well below the standard of whichever guide you're used to using for the US, but it is superior to both All the Birds of Brazil and Birds of Southern South America and Antarctica.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back