• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Paramo Taiga Fleece V Velez Adventure Light Smock (1 Viewer)

Hobbes2

I've spent a while going through the various BF threads on Paramo clothing. Owners seem to be united inn singing their praises. I have limited funds but would like to make an investment into some clothing which I can use specifically for birding i.e. blends in with the environment and is quiet, comfortable etc.

I currently use a Black Berghaus Windfoil fleece (+ waterproof when needed). It's great for almost every type of weather condition. The wind resistence keeps out the biting N/NE winds and the fleece aspect keeps me warm on cool-to-mild winter days, but it's light enough to wear in Spring and Autumn. However, it's not 'moss green' and doesn't really keep me as hidden as I'd like to be.

so....I've been looking through the Paramo Natural range. The two items which seem to fit the bill are the Taiga fleece (http://www.naturallyparamo.co.uk/Ga...-Jackets-and-Smocks/6802-/Unisex-Taiga-Fleece) and the Velez Adventure Light Smock (http://www.naturallyparamo.co.uk/Ga.../Men's-Velez-Adventure-Light-Waterproof-Smock). I wondered if anyone had owned or experienced both and could offer an appraisal as to which might suit my needs best, please? Are they both warm?

Any input would be much appreciated
thanks
Hobbes

Edit: I should add that the waterproofing aspect is not really important to me (I stay home when it rains ;))

Last edited:
Unfortunately I can't offer you a comparison because I haven't any experience of the Velez smock. However, the Taiga fleece is a great bit of kit. Warm, functional and very comfortable. The pockets are generous and its well made. I'm not a great fan of 'pull-over' smocks. The Taiga is full zip which I find much more versatile.

Alan

Unfortunately I can't offer you a comparison because I haven't any experience of the Velez smock. However, the Taiga fleece is a great bit of kit. Warm, functional and very comfortable. The pockets are generous and its well made. I'm not a great fan of 'pull-over' smocks. The Taiga is full zip which I find much more versatile.

Alan

Thanks Alan
I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I'm leaning towards getting the Taiga for the reason you site. I think I might feel a bit claustrophobic in a smock.
Thanks
Hobbes

I meant to ask, Alan, if you're still reading this thread, is the Taiga fairly windproof? I know it's not advertised as windproof but what is your experience, please? I don't want to buy a jacket that lets a biting N/NE wind through it!
Thanks
Hobbes

Yes it is windproof. An absolute essential in this part of the world! I have to say that I find it deceptively warm too. Great for those fresh, clear spring days.

Alan

I have both , the Taiga is a great jacket with lots of pockets for bits and pieces . Paramo did make a very light wind smock that will add windproofing when needed, I am unsure of its name . Velez light is an excellent piece of kit but probably not as versatile as the
Taiga .

I have both , the Taiga is a great jacket with lots of pockets for bits and pieces . Paramo did make a very light wind smock that will add windproofing when needed, I am unsure of its name . Velez light is an excellent piece of kit but probably not as versatile as the
Taiga .

Hi there, many thanks for your input. I keep changing my mind depending on the weather, lol. If I had the money, I'd buy both. Anyway, it's helpful to hear the Taiga is perhaps more versatile. I've tried on the Velez Light now and like the fit/feel but will probably order the Taiga to try on as well.
Thanks
Hobbes

I've owned a Taiga fleece for over 10 years, the original (which I wore out) and now the thinner, windproof version. I've tried the Velez smock, but didn't feel I had a need for it so didnt buy it.

I simply wouldnt be without my Taiga fleece. I find its probably the single most-used garment I have. Versatility is its strength - wear over just a t-shirt, over several layers, under a waterproof. Great fit, great length, great pockets, detachable hood - well, you know all this. Its simply great. 10/10 for me.

I've owned a Taiga fleece for over 10 years, the original (which I wore out) and now the thinner, windproof version. I've tried the Velez smock, but didn't feel I had a need for it so didnt buy it.

I simply wouldnt be without my Taiga fleece. I find its probably the single most-used garment I have. Versatility is its strength - wear over just a t-shirt, over several layers, under a waterproof. Great fit, great length, great pockets, detachable hood - well, you know all this. Its simply great. 10/10 for me.

lol, Hi Steve, sounds like you're a fan ;)
My main reason for leaning towards the Velez was for its weight. I was worried that the Taiga might be too heavy for me. However, I think the fact that its a jacket (rather than a smock) goes in its favour. I'm 99% sure I'll order the Taiga, in the colour 'moss', and see how it feels. The worst that can happen is I send it back for a refund.
Thanks for your input,
Hobbes

You spotted I like the Taiga then. Was it something I said? ;)

You'll hardly notice the 200g when you're wearing it, and if you're thinking of packed weight (as we all do for our flight luggage) - wear it! it makes for an ideal travel jacket with all those pockets.

You spotted I like the Taiga then. Was it something I said? ;)

You'll hardly notice the 200g when you're wearing it, and if you're thinking of packed weight (as we all do for our flight luggage) - wear it! it makes for an ideal travel jacket with all those pockets.

Hi Steve,
the website says its average weight is 790g (not 200g) (http://www.naturallyparamo.co.uk/Ga...-Jackets-and-Smocks/6802-/Unisex-Taiga-Fleece). My current fleece (berghaus windfoil) is almost half that weight.
Hobbes

Last edited:
Hello Hobbes,
I have both jackets. In my opinion the Velez smock (in Moss) is the ideal three season birding jacket (in the winter wear a Paramo Halcon or Pajaro jacket, if necessary with a Taiga fleece underneath).
It is windproof, waterproof, warm and comfortable, with venting options for cooling down.
Although it is a smock, try buying a size larger than you would normally wear for ease of removing it over the head. When it is that roomy you can wear a lightweight fleece under it when required.
It can be folded down to a compact size and placed in a rucksack unlike the Taiga which is altogether a bulkier garment.
I like the Taiga fleece too, having two of these as well. I like them for their sheer comfort factor, especially when worn under a Halcon Jacket in winter, but they are not as versatile as the Velez Light.

Last edited:
Hi Vivian
Glad to have your input and hear your experience. I'm determined to make up mind over the weekend and then make the purchase. I suspect that whichever I go for, I'll be happy. They both seem like excellent bits of kit. I wish I had the money to buy both, lol.
Thanks again
Hobbes

Edit: I meant to ask, have you (or anyone here) had any problems with static electricity from the Paramo gear? I tried on the Velez and sparks flew!

Hello Hobbes,
I have both jackets. In my opinion the Velez smock (in Moss) is the ideal three season birding jacket (in the winter wear a Paramo Halcon or Pajaro jacket).
It is windproof, waterproof, warm and comfortable, with venting options for cooling down.
Although it is a smock, try buying a size larger than you would normally wear for ease of removing it over the head. When it is that roomy you can wear a lightweight fleece under it when required.
It can be folded down to a compact size and placed in a rucksack unlike the Taiga which is altogether a bulkier garment.
I like the Taiga fleece too, having two of these as well. I like them for their sheer comfort factor, especially when worn under a Halcon Jacket in winter but they are not as versatile as the Velez Light.

Last edited:
Have got both the items u mention, plus a variety of Paramo garb. They are both excellent in their own right and I can only add by asking if you want waterproof or repellency, which will eventually allow penetration of water in driving continuos rain. The Velez will need cleaning and waterproofing to maintain its proofness and this should be done as per the instructions....I do mine at least twice during the winter period. The taiga fleece (older style) has served me well for four years - the Velez five years.

Have got both the items u mention, plus a variety of Paramo garb. They are both excellent in their own right and I can only add by asking if you want waterproof or repellency, which will eventually allow penetration of water in driving continuos rain. The Velez will need cleaning and waterproofing to maintain its proofness and this should be done as per the instructions....I do mine at least twice during the winter period. The taiga fleece (older style) has served me well for four years - the Velez five years.

Thanks Pyrtle. The waterproofing is not so important to me - it's the windproof/warmth/weight that's key |=)|
Hobbes

I have the TAiga fleece and have used it last week in Norfolk, very windy and am now in Mull in, at times, dreadful weather. This fleece is excellent, windproof, warm and with plenty of storage.

Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back