• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Parco Naturale Molentargius, Sardegna, Italy, 12 November 2021 (1 Viewer)

wentmat

Hi all,

I would appreciate some help with the following birds, which I saw in a wetlands reserve in Sardegna, Italy (pictures attached):

1. I only saw this bird briefly, but my first instinct was it was a Redwing because of the strong white supercilium in particular, which can be seen in the poor quality long range photos that I have attached. What cannot be seen clearly in the photos is any red on the flanks.

2. I think this is a juvenile black-tailed godwit, based on slender appearance, straightish bill and reddish neck.

Many thanks in advance!

Best,

Matt

Attachments

• Black tailed godwit.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 24
  • Black tailed godwit 3.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 14
  • Black tailed godwit 2.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 8
  • Redwing 1.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 26
  • Redwing 2.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 17
  • Redwing 3.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 17
  • Redwing 4.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 14
  • Redwing 5.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 17
Hello,
I agree with you, its a Black-tailed Godwit,
the other bird is Water Pipit by
  • good colouration, including white belly and whitish wingbars
  • can I see the very long tertials. cloacking the wing? No, thats whishful thinking.

The wader behind is a Green Sandpiper.

Hello,
I agree with you, its a Black-tailed Godwit,
the other bird is Water Pipit by
  • good colouration, including white belly and whitish wingbars
  • can I see the very long tertials. cloacking the wing? No, thats whishful thinking.

The wader behind is a Green Sandpiper.
Many thanks - I had just about figured out the Green Sandpiper (there are plenty of Tringa sandpipers here so it is good practice for me!).

I hadn't considered Water Pipit but I can see that now, thanks for the help!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back