• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pavones, Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

I spent just short of a week on a non-birding holiday (if there is such a thing) with my wife in early August 2012. We stayed at a place called Good Times Pavones where there is one big cabin and three smaller ones for a very reasonable price. This place has a bit of land and most of the list attached comes from the property or within walking distance of it. I got up early with the sun and sat on some steps that go up to a covered area with a hammock and ocean views. The birds literally pass through this property in the first few hours each day. At around $30 a night this is definately a birding destination. Rooms come with A/C, a fridge, and private restrooms/showers. The rooms were clean and the food was good. Matt, the guy who runs this place, speaks English and will help with just about everything. He can be reached in Pavones at 011-506-2776-2182.

We flew to Golfito from San Jose on Sansa Airlines and rented a 4-wheel drive vehicle from Solid Car Rental in Golfito. The road from Golfito to Pavones took approx 2 hours and was very birdy with toucans, raptors, herons, etc... I didn't stop too much but sometimes couldn't resist the urge. If birded properly, this road would certainly produce a lot more than I checked off.

I would highly recommend this trip to anyone. I did drive past the Tiskita Jungle Lodge (where most birders go in Pavones) and it looked quite run down compared to the web site. Good Times Pavones is much cheaper, has personal care from the owner, and fantastic birding. I was very surprised to find out that I was one of the first birders to have stayed there -- that's why I'm typing this up here. The driving trails and day trips from this place would be endless from a birding perspective if you had a rental car.

In addition to birds there were a lot of reptiles and amphibs. All in all, a fantastic trip. We drove from Pavones to Manuel Antonio for a few nights before driving to San Jose and leaving. Feel free to send me a note here on bird forum if you would like more info.

Attachments

• Costa Rica List.docx
    12.7 KB · Views: 77
Thanks for the tip, Dong Bei. Sounds good. I like cheap places with good birding. :p You can't get much further south than Pavones and still be in Costa Rica, can you?

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back