• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pennsylvania Warblers... again. And a bonus flycatcher (1 Viewer)

rylirk

United Kingdom
Hi all! I think I'm getting the hang of these warblers now, but I would still like to get my IDs checked! My guesses:

1. Black-Throated Green?
2, 3 & 4: Tennessee?
5: Northern Parula
6: Magnolia
7: Eastern Wood Pewee
8 & 9: Bay Breasted

Attachments

• P1170732.JPG
    P1170732.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • P1170969.JPG
    P1170969.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
  • P1170967.JPG
    P1170967.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
  • P1170887.JPG
    P1170887.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 39
  • P1170853.JPG
    P1170853.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 38
  • P1170759.JPG
    P1170759.JPG
    414.5 KB · Views: 35
  • P1170747.JPG
    P1170747.JPG
    997.4 KB · Views: 35
  • P1170746.JPG
    P1170746.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
  • P1170745.JPG
    P1170745.JPG
    900.1 KB · Views: 40
Any chance 2-4 is a Philly Vireo? They're being seen in good numbers right now.

Agree with the rest.

I believe both have been seen at Peace Valley recently, but certainly anecdotally it sounds like its been an especially good year for Philadelphia. Found a worse quality photo of the vireo that appears to show the black eye line extending to the bill, so my guess would be on Philly now?

Attachments

• P1170741.JPG
    P1170741.JPG
    728.3 KB · Views: 16
Bit hard to let it go ;) One would be a lifer, the other a country tick. It was my understanding that the two could also be separated by bill length, which should surely be doable with this quality of photo?

Well, no - not really - with either the fuzzy photo (a lack of crispness 'eats away' at extremities of thin/sharp things, so you don't know where you are) or the crisp one (awkward angle, so assessment/comparison is difficult). And I think the bill-length difference is, in any case, subtle at best.

1. Black-throated Green Warbler
2-4. Warbling Vireo
5. Northern Parula
6. Magnolia Warbler
7. Eastern Wood Pewee
8-9. Bay-breasted Warbler
The photos are in a different arrangement for me.
for example, pic 3 I see Bay-breasted and pic 4 the flycatcher.

It was my understanding that the two could also be separated by bill length, which should surely be doable with this quality of photo?
I've never of heard such a thing.

The best way I know of is facial pattern and amount of yellow on the underparts. But it's hard to know whether the color is accurate in the photos and I can't see the face well.

I'm afraid I can't help beyond that.

Apologies to drag this thread back from the afterlife, but is there anything to eliminate Red-Eyed for the poor vireo photos? I have been discussing the record with the eBird reviewer who is happy to rule out Warbling (eye stripe too pronounced) but not rule on whether it is Red-Eyed nor Philadelphia. I just wondered what feature was drawing people away from Red-Eyed here?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back