• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax VM 6x21 WP Monocular/ 18x Microscope (1 Viewer)

While looking through Gijs’ presentation ‘Multi-functional binoculars and telescopes in the past four centuries’, I came across the following image:
The Bynolt Golf 5x20 monocular and 15x microscope
- so perhaps the inspiration for the new Pentax VM 6x21?

However, as many well be aware, often the same things are independently reinvented
i.e. there’s only a limited number of ways to do something, and not infrequently someone will say ‘Hey, why don’t we instead try . . . ?’
e.g. in this instance, the underhand hold of a monocular with the fingers on top, would suggest the notion of focusing by the use of a rocker on the top surface

It seems to have been very rare, as some quick Googling produced no other images or information

The image is from page 92 of the 111 page 19.4 MB publication, and can be found at: https://www.houseofoutdoor.com/verrekijkers/verrekijkers-testen-en-vergelijken/

John

Attachments

• Bynolt 5x20 Monocular & Microscope.jpg
    Bynolt 5x20 Monocular & Microscope.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 52
While looking through Gijs’ presentation ‘Multi-functional binoculars and telescopes in the past four centuries’, I came across the following image:

However, as many well be aware, often the same things are independently reinvented
i.e. there’s only a limited number of ways to do something, and not infrequently someone will say ‘Hey, why don’t we instead try . . . ?’
e.g. in this instance, the underhand hold of a monocular with the fingers on top, would suggest the notion of focusing by the use of a rocker on the top surface

It seems to have been very rare, as some quick Googling produced no other images or information

The image is from page 92 of the 111 page 19.4 MB publication, and can be found at: https://www.houseofoutdoor.com/verrekijkers/verrekijkers-testen-en-vergelijken/

John
Interesting! It looks just like the Pentax VM 6x21 WP. I really like mine. It is great to use one handed. I bought a Lowepro Dashpoint 10 Camera Bag that fits it perfect and wear it on my waist when I ride my road bike. I didn't care for the partial protection provided by the included case.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008OQUY5S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• Lowepro_lp36438_0ww_Dashpoint_10_Camera_Pouch_1343654056_884421.jpg
    Lowepro_lp36438_0ww_Dashpoint_10_Camera_Pouch_1343654056_884421.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I preordered the Pentax VM 6x21 WP Monocular. It seems very interesting. I will give some feedback when I get it.

I preordered the Pentax VM 6x21 WP Monocular. It seems very interesting. I will give some feedback when I get it.
Hey there. Wondering if you have any more detailed update/ pictures. I'm considering getting this for my walks around woodland and parks for some "quick from the hip" spotting needed. Would these do? Worried 6x might be too little but have very minimal experience with optics

The Bynolt monocular there seems to be an earlier version of the Carson Bandit 8x25, which is about $30. No idea how they compare optically though.

I suspect that being "only" 6x magnification makes the focussing less critical than if it were 8x, and perhaps this makes the rocker-type focussing an acceptable solution. I agree with Binastro that the rocker focussing binoculars that were available in the 70s and early 80s just weren't worth the trouble.

The Focuser on this monocular works very well. In fact, it is easy to use one handed and focus at the same time. I would never go back to the old focus system on monoculars.

How much CA in center/edge ?
Can you compare it with Zeiss 6x18 (sharpness, CA, focuser , eye placement) ?

The focus in the Pentax 6x21 works actually quite well.
I was also, like some of the others here, surprised not only at the shape, but also the "strange" focus mechanism, until I understood that this allows true one-hand-operation (whereas with other monoculars, such as the Leica Monovid, you - or at least I - need a second hand for focusing). So the Pentax works even if you have to hold on to something. e.g. when riding a vehicle, and cannot let go with your second hand. The "seesaw" mechanism needs a bit of practice, but then works fine. Overall, I find the Pentax 6x21 quite useful and well worth its price. I find the image quality very satisfactory. The field of view is much wider than e.g. in the Zeiss 6x18, and the Pentax is fully waterproof.
Pentax seems recently to go for innovative designs, this is one excample, the other being the binocular/monocular VM 4x20 (which I have been using quite a bit).

Canip

Last edited:
I just got this monocular and find the lack of eyecup very bad. It's difficult to get a good view quickly. The focus system is also quite finicky. Even a slight tap on it will change focus. My purpose of buying this was to have something always with me that is quick to use.

I'm giving it a bit more practice (and a 3D printed eyecup), but so far it's a disappointment. Not quick to use when you need to get that bird identified and not even that small. But the glass is good. I find the view very satisfactory when it's all set.

I just got this monocular and find the lack of eyecup very bad. It's difficult to get a good view quickly. The focus system is also quite finicky. Even a slight tap on it will change focus.
If you get the full macro kit, or just the phone adapter, there is an inverted conical eyecup.

Edit: thinking about poking it into your cornea, I should call it a 'phonecup', not 'eyecup'. Amazon reviewers do use it with the eye, though.

I suspect the intention is you hide the monocular in your fist and make a natural eyecup from your thumb and index finger.
I am working from Turmon/Docter experience, well Helios actually.

Pentax 6x20.jpgRicoh-VM-6-21-WP-high-performance-monocular-01-1200x900.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back