• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

petrel spec or tubenose spec? | Off Oshima Island, Japan | 8 March 2020 (2 Viewers)

HouseCrow

Hi,
still working on my stormy day at sea: a ferry trip from Hachijojima to Tokyo on 8 March 2020.
99% of birds that day appear to be Streaked Shearwater
0,5% is one of the three albatross species I was lucky to see (Laysan common, the other two only 2-5)
And then there are these that are some petrel or other.

Dark slender silhouet in the distance
2020-03-08 15.49.53 - GTH_1384-bijvangst-petrel-uitzoeken.JPG

What do you make of this? not what species, but which genus or group?
MIND: I know this bycatch in a few photos is not nearly good enough for ID at species level. I AM NOT SEEKING A SPECIES ID (pardon the shouting) However it would be greatly helpful to me to see whether I may be right to ID this as one of the petrels (Bulwer's is a regular in the area). I am new at seabirding, I will not have many chances to do it but still I'd like to see if I have learned something.

Please let me know what you think: petrel spec or 'tubenose'?

record in original size photos + the same crop: Bulwer's and Jouanin's Petrels (Genus Bulweria)
other records on the same blustery, bad light day: Observations

cheers,
G erbenPetrel.jpg2020-03-08 15.49.53 - GTH_1384-bijvangst-petrel-uitzoeken.JPG2020-03-08 15.49.55 - GTH_1385.JPG

Last edited:
Potential Bulwer's/Jouanin's-type thing. Why not?
Ed. - The only photo present at the time I commented was what's currently no. 2 - the first of the two small ones.

Last edited:
I was wondering if Storm Petrels (Oceanodroma) or even shearwaters could not also look like this: slender and long winged + long (pin)-tailed: I think not...but I am no expert at all.

thanks B

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back