• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pomarine Skua - right? | 2020 march 8 | 12km off Izu Oshima Island, Japan (1 Viewer)

HouseCrow

An early-season search of seabirds in my archive made me return to this set of photos of a skua some 12 km NE of Izu Oshima Island, Japan on March 8, 2020. (close to the southern tip of the Boso or Chiba peninsula)

I think it is a Pomarine Skua but I have little experience with skuas and would love to see your opinion on this.

I would think it is a fairly bulky bird, with a longish tail, a white shaft to the outer primaries, a light belly, mottled rump.

PS. The record says two birds. The last photo added looks a bit strange with that wedge-tail... Is that ok for Pomarine or...

record at observation.org

Hope to hear from you.

cheers
Gerben

pomarctic-japan.jpgpomarcticunderside.jpg

Attachments

• 46794316.jpg
    46794316.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Wow....is the photo impossible to id or....no replies yet....

Sorry for the push, but surely something can be said.

Cheers,
G

Yes. Deep powerful chest, tail, wing flash - I would absolutely have listed this as Pomarine

The attached pic is a great example of their powerful bulk.

Attachments

• HRBP 5792 Pomarine Jaeger.jpg
    HRBP 5792 Pomarine Jaeger.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 25
Thanks Ratal, I hate these bumps but well you know... I was not sure what to make of it when I first checked the photo (not during the trip itself).
Pomarine is -I understand- the commonest of skuas in the area, but you never know.

I will remove the ? in the recorder

cheers,
Gerben

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back